The Acreage and Borrowing Effects ok Direct Payments Under Uncertainty: A Simulation
AbstractWe use simulation methods in an expected utility maximization framework to analyze a farmer`s optimal resource allocation in the presence of government payments, decoupled and not. This framework is extended to incorporate the optimal choice of investment levels in the presence of credit constraints. Further extensions include a wealth-dependent interest rate and decreasing marginal yields. We find decoupled payments affect the optimal choices of the credit - constrained farmer though a collateral - enhancement effect, so they do distort production. The 2005 proposal by Senators Grasseley, Dorgan, Hagel, and Johnson to tighten limits on commodity payments is not found to affect payments of the typical Kansas farmer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NIPE - Universidade do Minho in its series NIPE Working Papers with number 14/2009.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vitor A. Ozaki & Sujit K. Ghosh & Barry K. Goodwin & Ricardo Shirota, 2008.
"Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Agricultural Yield Data with an Application to Pricing Crop Insurance Contracts,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(4), pages 951-961.
- Ozaki, Vitor Augusto & Ghosh, Sujit K. & Goodwin, Barry K. & Shirota, Ricardo, 2005. "Spatio-Temporal Modeling Of Agricultural Yield Data With An Application To Pricing Crop Insurance Contracts," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19142, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2005. "Another Look at Decoupling: Additional Evidence on the Production Effects of Direct Payments," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1200-1210.
- Hennessy, David A., 1998.
"The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies Under Uncertainty,"
Staff General Research Papers
1207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 1998. "The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 46-57.
- Miller, J. Corey & Coble, Keith H. & Vergara, Oscar & Broyles, Meredith E., 2003. "Potential Impacts Of Changes To Government Payment Limits For Mississippi Farms," Research reports 15797, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria João Thompson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.