Regulation, generic competition and pharmaceutical prices: Theory and evidence from a natural experiment
AbstractWe study the impact of regulatory regimes on generic competition and pharmaceutical pricing using a unique policy experiment in Norway, where reference pricing (RP) replaced price cap regulation in 2003 for a sub-sample of off-patent products. We exploit a detailed panel dataset at product level covering a wide set of off-patent drugs before and after the policy reform. Off-patent drugs not subject to reference pricing serve as our control group. We find that RP leads to lower relative prices, with the effect being driven by strong brand-name price reductions, and not increases in generic prices. We also find that RP increases generic competition, resulting in lower brand-name market shares. Finally, we show that RP has a strong negative effect on average prices at molecule level, suggesting significant cost-savings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NIPE - Universidade do Minho in its series NIPE Working Papers with number 01/2008.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-01-26 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IPR-2008-01-26 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-MIC-2008-01-26 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2008-01-26 (Marketing)
- NEP-REG-2008-01-26 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Tor Helge Holmås & Odd Rune Straume, 2010.
"Margins and Market Shares:Pharmacy Incentives for Generic Substitution,"
NIPE Working Papers
20/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Holmås, Tor Helge & Straume, Odd Rune, 2013. "Margins and market shares: Pharmacy incentives for generic substitution," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 116-131.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Tor Helge Holmås & Odd Rune Straume, 2012. "Margins and Market Shares: Pharmacy Incentives for Generic Substitution," CESifo Working Paper Series 4055, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Holmås, Tor Helge & Straume, Odd Rune, 2010. "Margins and Market Shares: Pharmacy Incentives for Generic Substitution," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 18/2010, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Pierre Dubois; & Laura Lasio;, 2012. "The effects of price regulation of pharmaceutical industry margins: A structural estimation for anti-ulcer drugs in France," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 12/18, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- de Mouzon, Oliver & Dubois, Pierre & Scott Morton, Fiona & Seabright, Paul, 2011.
"Market Size and Pharmaceutical Innovation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8367, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dubois, Pierre & de Mouzon, Olivier & Scott Morton, Fiona & Seabright, Paul, 2011. "Market Size and Pharmaceutical Innovation," TSE Working Papers 11-232, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Dubois, Pierre & de Mouzon, Olivier & Scott Morton, Fiona & Seabright, Paul, 2011. "Market Size and Pharmaceutical Innovation," IDEI Working Papers 670, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Simanjuntak, Destrina Grace & Tjandrawinata, Raymond R., 2011. "A study on influencers of total sales revenue of generic pharmaceutical companies in Indonesia," MPRA Paper 31628, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria João Thompson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.