Are Economic Growth and the Variability of the Business Cycle Related? Evidence from Five European Countries
AbstractWe use a long series of annual data that span over 100 years to examine the relationship between output growth and output growth uncertainty in five European countries. Using the GARCH methodology to proxy output growth uncertainty, we obtain two important results: First, more uncertainty about output growth leads to a higher rate of output growth in three of the five countries. Second, output growth reduces output growth uncertainty in all countries except one. Our results provide strong support to the view that macroeconomists should examine the theories of economic growth and the variability of the business cycle in tandem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0063.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision: 2002
Contact details of provider:
Postal: St. Anthony's College, Newcastle Road, Galway
Phone: +353-91 524411 ext. 2501
Fax: +353-91 524130
Web page: http://economics.nuigalway.ie
More information through EDIRC
Output growth; Output growth uncertainity; GARCH.;
Other versions of this item:
- Stilianos Fountas & Menelaos Karanasos, 2008. "Are economic growth and the variability of the business cycle related? Evidence from five European countries," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 445-459.
- Stilianos Fountas & Menelaos Karanasos, 2008. "Are economic growth and the variability of the business cycle related ? Evidence from five European countries," Discussion Paper Series 2008_17, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2008.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos & Zeng, Ning, 2010. "The link between macroeconomic performance and variability in the UK," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 154-157, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Srinivas Raghavendra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.