The Welfare Effects of Mobile Termination Rate Regulation in Asymmetric Oligopolies: the Case of Spain
AbstractWe examine the effects of mobile termination rate regulation in asymmetric oligopolies. We do this by extending existing models of asymmetric duopoly and symmetric oligopoly where consumer expectations about market shares are passive. We first calibrate product differentiation parameters using detailed data from the Spanish market from 2010. Next, we predict equilibrium outcomes and welfare effects under alternative scenarios of future termination rates. Lowering termination rates typically lowers profits of all networks and improves consumer and total surplus.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NET Institute in its series Working Papers with number 11-09.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.NETinst.org/
Mobile Termination Rates; Network Effects; Simulations; Telecommunications; Welfare;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- K23 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Regulated Industries and Administrative Law
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-11-07 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2011-11-07 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-REG-2011-11-07 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis López, Ángel, 2011. "Mobile termination rates and the receiver-pays regime," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 171-181, June.
- Bijl, P.W.J. de & Peitz, M., 2004.
"Dynamic Regulation and Entry in Telecommunications Markets: A Policy Framework,"
2004-010, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- de Bijl, Paul W. J. & Peitz, Martin, 2004. "Dynamic regulation and entry in telecommunications markets: a policy framework," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 411-437, September.
- Steffen Hoernig & Roman Inderst & Tommaso Valletti, 2011.
"Calling Circles: Network Competition with Non-Uniform Calling Patterns,"
CEIS Research Paper
206, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 04 Jul 2011.
- Hoernig, Steffen & Inderst, Roman & Valletti, Tommaso, 2010. "Calling Circles: Network Competition with Non-Uniform Calling Patterns," CEPR Discussion Papers 8114, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gans, J.S. & King, S.P., 2000.
"Using 'Bill and Keep' Interconnect Arrangements to Soften Network Competiti on,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
739, The University of Melbourne.
- Gans, Joshua S. & King, Stephen P., 2001. "Using 'bill and keep' interconnect arrangements to soften network competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 413-420, June.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2004.
"On the Receiver-Pays Principle,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(1), pages 85-110, Spring.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Doh-Shin Jeon, 2009.
"Mobile termination and mobile penetration,"
Economics Working Papers
1166, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hurkens, Sjaak & Jeon, Doh-Shin, 2009. "Mobile Termination and Mobile Penetration," TSE Working Papers 09-070, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Hurkens, Sjaak & Jeon, Doh-Shin, 2009. "Mobile Termination and Mobile Penetration," IDEI Working Papers 575, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Hurkens, Sjaak & Jeon, Doh-Shin, 2009. "Mobile termination and mobile penetration," IESE Research Papers D/816, IESE Business School.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Doh-Shin Jeon, 2009. "Mobile Termination and Mobile Penetration," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 777.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ralf Dewenter & Justus Haucap, 2007.
"Demand Elasticities for Mobile Telecommunications in Austria,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0017, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ralf Dewenter & Justus Haucap, 2008. "Demand Elasticities for Mobile Telecommunications in Austria," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(1), pages 49-63, February.
- Hurkens, Sjaak & Lopez, Angel, 2010.
"Mobile termination, network externalities, and consumer expectations,"
IESE Research Papers
D/850, IESE Business School.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Ángel L. López, 2010. "Mobile Termination, Network Externalities, and Consumer Expectations," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 812.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Martin Peitz, 2005. "Asymmetric Regulation of Access and Price Discrimination in Telecommunications," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 327-343, November.
- Harbord, David & Hoernig, Steffen, 2010.
"Welfare Analysis of Regulating Mobile Termination Rates in the UK (with an Application to the Orange/T-Mobile Merger),"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harbord, David & Hoernig, Steffen, 2010. "Welfare Analysis of Regulating Mobile Termination Rates in the UK (with an Application to the Orange/T-Mobile Merger)," MPRA Paper 21515, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Harbord & Steffen Hoernig, 2012. "Welfare Analysis of Regulating Mobile Termination Rates in the UK with an Application to the Orange/T-Mobile Merger," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp571, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Jullien, Bruno & Rey, Patrick & Sand-Zantman, Wilfried, 2009. "Mobile Call Termination Revisited," TSE Working Papers 10-198, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Aug 2010.
- Harbord David & Pagnozzi Marco, 2010. "Network-Based Price Discrimination and `Bill-and-Keep' vs. `Cost-Based' Regulation of Mobile Termination Rates," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-46, February.
- Barth, Anne-Kathrin & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2012. "Der angemessene Kostenmaßstab für Terminierungsentgelte - "Pure LRIC" vs. "KeL"," DICE Ordnungspolitische Perspektiven 29, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicholas Economides).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.