R&D and absorptive capacity: from theory to data
AbstractThis paper presents a unified model that integrates the theoretical literatue on Schumpeterian endogenous growth, the microeconometric literature on R&D and productivity, and the empirical literature on productivity convergence. Starting from a structural model of endogenous growth following Aghion and Howitt (1992, 1998), we provide microeconomic foundations for a reduced-form equation for Total Factor Productivity (TFP) growth that is commonly used in the empirical literature. We allow a role for R&D in innovation and technology transfer (absorptive capacity). The analysis suggests that many existing studies underestimate R&D's social rate of return and provides an explanation for long-run productivity levels at the industry level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University College London in its series Open Access publications from University College London with number http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/3907/.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The Scandinavian Journal of Economics (2003) v.105, p.99-118
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ucl.ac.uk
Other versions of this item:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lederman, Daniel & Maloney, William F., 2003. "Research and development (R&D) and development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3024, The World Bank.
- Astrid Romain & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004.
"The economic impact of venture capital,"
Working Papers CEB
04-014.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "The Economic Impact of Venture Capital," IIR Working Paper 03-20, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno & Romain, Astrid, 2004. "The Economic Impact of Venture Capital," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2004.
"From R&D to productivity growth: do the institutional settings and the sources of funds of R&D matter?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6207, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2004. "From R&D to Productivity Growth: Do the Institutional Settings and the Source of Funds of R&D Matter?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 353-378, 07.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004. "From R&D to Productivity Growth: Do the Institutional Settings and the Source of Funds of R&D Matter?," Working Papers CEB 04-010.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Guellec, Dominique & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "From R&D to Productivity Growth: Do The Institutional Setting and The Source of Funds of R&D Matter?," IIR Working Paper 03-26, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Carboni, Oliviero A., 2012. "An empirical investigation of the determinants of R&D cooperation: An application of the inverse hyperbolic sine transformation," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 131-141.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2002.
"International Technology Diffusion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kieron Jones).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.