Triangular simultaneous equations model under structural misspecification
AbstractTriangular simultaneous equation models are commonly used in econometric analysis to analyse endogeneity problems caused, among others, by individual choice or market equilibrium. Empirical researchers usually specify the simultaneous equation models in an ad hoc linear form; without testing the validity of such specification. In this paper, approximation properties of a linear fit for structural function in a triangular system of simultaneous equations are explored. I demonstrate that, linear fit can be interpreted as the best linear prediction to the underlying structural function in a weighted mean squared (WMSE) error sense. Furthermore, it is shown that with the endogenous variable being a continuous treatment variable, under misspecification, the pseudo-parameter that defines the returns to treatment intensity is weighted average of the Marginal Treatment Effects (MTE) of Heckman and Vytlacil (2001). Misspecification robust asymptotic variance formulas for estimators of pseudo-true parameters are also derived. The approximation properties are further investigated with Monte-Carlo experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University College London in its series Open Access publications from University College London with number http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1336878/.
Date of creation: 28 Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ucl.ac.uk
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denny, Michael & Fuss, Melvyn A, 1977. "The Use of Approximation Analysis to Test for Separability and the Existence of Consistent Aggregates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 404-18, June.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1998.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models,"
98-6, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1999. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 565-604, May.
- Whitney Newey & James Powell & Francis Vella, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Working papers 98-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kieron Jones).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.