Markets and famines : evidence from nineteenth century Finland
AbstractThis paper uses information on grain prices from mid-nineteenth century Finland to shed some light on how markets performed during one important, if unduly neglected, famine, the Great Finnish Famine of 1866-68. That famine, Europe's last major peace-time subsistence crisis, resulted in the deaths of over one hundred thousand people out of a population of 1.8 million.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University College Dublin in its series Open Access publications from University College Dublin with number urn:hdl:10197/466.
Date of creation: Apr 2001
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economic development and cultural change (2001-04) v.49, p.575-590
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie
Other versions of this item:
- O Grada, Cormac, 2001. "Markets and Famines: Evidence from Nineteenth-Century Finland," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(3), pages 575-90, April.
- Grada, C.O., 1998. "Markets and Famines: Evidence from Nineteenth-Century Finland," Papers 98/08, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q19 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jantti, Markus & Saari, Juho & Vartiainen, Juhana, 2006. "Growth and Equity in Finland," Working Paper Series DP2006/06, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2006.
"Making Famine History,"
200610, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Ó Gráda, Cormac, 2007. "Making famine history," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/492, University College Dublin.
- Chevet, Jean-Michel & Ó Gráda, Cormac, 2002.
"Famine and market in Ancien Régime France,"
Open Access publications from University College Dublin
urn:hdl:10197/368, University College Dublin.
- Marks, Daan, 2010. "Unity or diversity? On the integration and efficiency of rice markets in Indonesia, c. 1920-2006," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 310-324, July.
- Tim Dyson & Cormac Ó Gráda, 2001. "Famine Demography - An Introduction," Working Papers 200125, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joseph Greene).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.