Measures of Store Loyalty in French Food Retailing
AbstractStore loyalty is an important issue for retailers since it defines one way in which consumers are attached to stores. However, store loyalty is not unidimensional and there are different ways of measuring it. After surveying the marketing literature on how to assess 'store loyalty', we compute different store loyalty indexes with French homescan database on consumer purchases (9 000 households) coupled with a store database that allows us to control for supply parameters, including store location and accessibility. We find that the store loyalty index, computed on more than 250 goods, differs greatly across chain stores. Moreover, when households increase their expenditures in a store, it does not necessarily mean that the store benefits from more loyal patronage. We also investigate the relationship between store loyalty and likelihood of buying private labels (PL). Results show that a PL expenditure increase does not translate into higher store loyalty (whatever the index studied).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Toulouse 1 Capitole in its series Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole with number http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/3170/.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies (2010) v.91, p.261-277
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univ-tlse1.fr/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William P. Putsis Jr. & Ronald W. Cotterill, 1999. "Share, price and category expenditure-geographic market effects and private labels," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 175-187.
- Peter T. L. Popkowski Leszczyc & Fusun F. Gonul, 1996. "Multiple Ways of Measuring Brand Loyalty," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 494-97, April.
- Fabian Bergès-Sennou, 2006. "Store loyalty, bargaining power and the private label production issue," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 315-335, September.
- Mills, David E, 1995. "Why Retailers Sell Private Labels," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 509-28, Fall.
- Beggs, Alan W, 1994. "Mergers and Malls," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 419-28, December.
- Mellens, M & Dekimpe, Marnik & Steenkamp, J, 1996. "A review of brand-loyalty measures in marketing," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/119352, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Stéphane Caprice, 2004. "Fidélité à la marque, fidélité à l'enseigne: une analyse des déterminants des rapports de force entre producteurs et distributeurs," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 283(1), pages 72-84.
- K. Sudhir & Debabrata Talukdar, 2004. "Does Store Brand Patronage Improve Store Patronage?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 143-160, 03.
- Mellens, M. & Dekimpe, M.G. & Steenkamp, J., 1996. "A review of brand loyalty measures in marketing," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-358838, Tilburg University.
- Bergès-Sennou Fabian & Bontems Philippe & Réquillart Vincent, 2004. "Economics of Private Labels: A Survey of Literature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bustos-Reyes, César Augusto & González-Benito, Óscar, 2008. "Store and store format loyalty measures based on budget allocation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(9), pages 1015-1025, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Main contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.