Bootstrapping Realized Volatility
AbstractWe propose bootstrap methods for a general class of nonlinear transformations of realized volatility which includes the raw version of realized volatility and its logarithmic transformation as special cases. We consider the independent and identically distributed (i.i.d.) bootstrap and the wild bootstrap (WB), and prove their first-order asymptotic validity under general assumptions on the log-price process that allow for drift and leverage effects. We derive Edgeworth expansions in a simpler model that rules out these effects. The i.i.d. bootstrap provides a second-order asymptotic refinement when volatility is constant, but not otherwise. The WB yields a second-order asymptotic refinement under stochastic volatility provided we choose the external random variable used to construct the WB data appropriately. None of these methods provides third-order asymptotic refinements. Both methods improve upon the first-order asymptotic theory in finite samples. Copyright 2009 The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Toulouse 1 Capitole in its series Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole with number http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/2042/.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Econometrica (2009-01) v.77, p.283-306
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univ-tlse1.fr/
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. M. Bandi & J. R. Russell, 2008. "Microstructure Noise, Realized Variance, and Optimal Sampling," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(2), pages 339-369.
- Davidson, Russell & Flachaire, Emmanuel, 2008.
"The wild bootstrap, tamed at last,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 162-169, September.
- Davidson, R. & Flachaire, E., 1999. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2000. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1413, Econometric Society.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Working Papers 1000, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 58, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Dovonon, Prosper & Goncalves, Silvia & Meddahi, Nour, 2010.
"Bootstrapping realized multivariate volatility measures,"
40123, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dovonon, Prosper & Gonçalves, Sílvia & Meddahi, Nour, 2013. "Bootstrapping realized multivariate volatility measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 49-65.
- Donovon, Prosper & Goncalves, Silvia & Meddahi, Nour, 2013. "Bootstrapping Realized Multivariate Volatility Measures," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005.
"Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics,"
2005-W06, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole E. & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Shephard, Neil, 2006. "Limit Theorems For Bipower Variation In Financial Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 677-719, August.
- Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," Economics Series Working Papers 2005-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Horowitz, Joel L. & Kreiss, Jens-Peter, 2001. "Bootstrap methods for time series," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,59, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Meddahi, Nour & Mykland, Per & Shephard, Neil, 2011. "Realized Volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 1-1, January.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Main contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.