Cognition and Incomplete Contracts
AbstractThinking about contingencies, designing covenants, and seeing through their implications is costly. Parties to a contract accordingly use heuristics and leave it incomplete. The paper develops a model of limited cognition and examines its consequences for contractual design. (JEL D23, D82, D86, L22)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Toulouse 1 Capitole in its series Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole with number http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/187/.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Economic Review (2009-03) v.99, p.265-294
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univ-tlse1.fr/
Other versions of this item:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- D86 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Economics of Contract Law
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin E. Hermalin, 2002.
"Adverse Selection, Short-Term Contracting, and the Underprovision of On-the-Job Training,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 0(1), pages 5.
- Hermalin, Benjamin, 1990. "Adverse Selection, Short-Term Contracting, and the Underprovision of On-the-Job Training," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3636n9n2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Benjamin Hermalin., 1990. "Adverse Selection, Short-Term Contracting, and the Underprovision of On-the-Job Training," Economics Working Papers 90-139, University of California at Berkeley.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stephane Straub, 2004.
"Renegotiation of Concession Contracts in Latin America,"
ESE Discussion Papers
103, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stephane, 2003. "Renegotiation of concession contracts in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3011, The World Bank.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2005.
"Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
11755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2006. "Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(2), pages 505-540, May.
- Gabaix, Xavier & Laibson, David I., 2006. "Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets," Scholarly Articles 4554333, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Anderlini, Luca & Felli, Leonardo, 1994.
"Incomplete Written Contracts: Undescribable States of Nature,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1085-1124, November.
- Anderlini, L. & Felli, L., 1993. "Incomplete Written Contracts: Undescribable States of Nature," Papers 183, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Douglas W Diamond, 1992. "Bank Loan Maturity and Priority when Borrowers can Refinance," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0022, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
- Salvatore Piccolo & David Martimort, 2006. "The Strategic Value of Incomplete Contracting in a Competing Hierarchies Environment," CSEF Working Papers 160, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 08 Dec 2006.
- Eric Maskin & John Moore, 1999.
"Implementation and Renegotiation,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1863, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1992.
"Measurement Distortion and Missing Contingencies in Optimal Contracts,"
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Allen, F. & Gale, D., 1990. "Measurement Distortion And Missing Contingencies In Optimal Contracts," Weiss Center Working Papers 26-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Valila, Timo, 2005. "How expensive are cost savings? On the economics of public-private partnerships," EIB Papers 4/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Aghion, P. & Hermalin, B., 1990.
"Legal Restrictions on Private Contracts Can Enhance Efficiency,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-14, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, Philippe & Hermalin, Benjamin, 1990. "Legal Restrictions on Private Contracts Can Enhance Efficiency," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 381-409, Fall.
- Patrick Bolton & Antoine Faure-Grimaud, 2005. "Thinking Ahead: The Decision Problem," NBER Working Papers 11867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Levin & Steven Tadelis, 2007. "Contracting for Government Services: Theory and Evidence from U.S. Cities," NBER Working Papers 13350, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Di Maggio & Marco Pagano, 2012.
"Financial Disclosure and Market Transparency with Costly Information Processing,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
1212, Einaudi Institute for Economic and Finance (EIEF), revised Oct 2012.
- Di Maggio, Marco & Pagano, Marco, 2012. "Financial Disclosure and Market Transparency with Costly Information Processing," CEPR Discussion Papers 9207, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco di Maggio & Marco Pagano, 2012. "Financial Disclosure and Market Transparency with Costly Information Processing," CSEF Working Papers 323, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Dessi, Roberta, 2009. "Contractual Execution, Strategic Incompleteness and Venture Capital," TSE Working Papers 09-075, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Zhao, Xiaojian, 2011. "Framing contingencies in contracts," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 31-40, January.
- David A. Miller & Kareen Rozen, 2011. "Optimally Empty Promises and Endogenous Supervision," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000270, David K. Levine.
- Kvaløy, Ola & Olsen, Trond E., 2004.
"Endogenous Verifiability in Relational Contracting,"
2004/20, Department of Finance and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Ola Kvaløy & Trond E. Olsen, 2009. "Endogenous Verifiability and Relational Contracting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2193-2208, December.
- Claudine Desrieux & Jean Beuve, 2011. "Relational contracts as a foundation for contractual incompleteness," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2030-2040.
- Beccherle, Julien & Tirole, Jean, 2010.
"Regional Initiatives and the Cost of Delaying Binding Climate Change Agreements,"
IDEI Working Papers
628, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Beccherle, Julien & Tirole, Jean, 2011. "Regional initiatives and the cost of delaying binding climate change agreements," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(11), pages 1339-1348.
- David A. Miller & Kareen Rozen, 2011. "We study optimal contracting in team settings, featuring stylized aspects of production environments with complex tasks. Agents have many opportunities to shirk, task-level monitoring is needed to pro," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1823, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 2012.
- Gaudeul, Alexia, 2009.
"A (micro) course in microeconomic theory for MSc students,"
15388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexia Gaudeul, 2009. "A (Micro) Course in Microeconomic Theory for MSc Students," Working Papers id:1986, eSocialSciences.
- Dassiou, X. & Stern, J., 2008.
"Infrastructure Contracts: Trust and Institutional Updating,"
08/06, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Xeni Dassiou & Jon Stern, 2009. "Infrastructure Contracts: Trust and Institutional Updating," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 171-216, September.
- Bengtsson, Ola & Sensoy, Berk A., 2011.
"Investor abilities and financial contracting: Evidence from venture capital,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 477-502, October.
- Bengtsson, Ola & Sensoy, Berk A., 2009. "Investor Abilities and Financial Contracting: Evidence from Venture Capital," Working Paper Series 2009-22, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Kohei Daido & Kimiyuki Morita & Takeshi Murooka & Hiromasa Ogawa, 2013. "Task Assignment under Agent Loss Aversion," Discussion Paper Series 103, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Mar 2013.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Steen, Frode & Toivanen, Otto, 2012. "Anatomy of Cartel Contracts," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 25/2012, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Dessi, Roberta, 2011. "Innovation, Spillovers and Venture Capital Contracts," IDEI Working Papers 684, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Dessi, Roberta, 2009. "Contractual Execution, Strategic Incompleteness and Venture Capital," IDEI Working Papers 465, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Main contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.