Decision-Making under Scientific Uncertainty: The Economics of the Precautionary Principle
AbstractThe Precautionary Principle has provided the foundations for building a new risk regulatory pattern under scientific uncertainty. This paper investigates how classical economic theory may, or may not, justify the Precautionary Principle. It examines the link between irreversibility, the prospect of increasing information over time and risk management. In doing so, it brings closer the notion of option value to that of precaution. Using a general modelling framework, it identifies the conditions so that the Precautionary Principle is an efficient economic guideline. It also explains why precautionary policies are not likely to emerge in a competitive economy or in the presence of a global pollution problem. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Toulouse 1 Capitole in its series Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole with number http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/1502/.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Risk and Uncertainty (2003) v.27, p.77-103
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univ-tlse1.fr/
Other versions of this item:
- Gollier, Christian & Treich, Nicolas, 2003. " Decision-Making under Scientific Uncertainty: The Economics of the Precautionary Principle," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 77-103, August.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry, Claude, 1974. "Investment Decisions Under Uncertainty: The "Irreversibility Effect."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1006-12, December.
- Helen Weeds, 2002.
"Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 729-747.
- Weeds, Helen, 2002. "Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 729-47, July.
- Weeds, H., 2000. "Strategic Delay in a Real Optimna Model of R&D Competition," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 576, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Viscusi, W. Kip, 1984. "Regulating uncertain health hazards when there is changing risk information," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 259-273, December.
- Olivier Godard, 2012. "The Precautionary Principle and chemical risks," Working Papers hal-00689761, HAL.
- Treich, Nicholas & Salanie, Francois, 2002.
"Regulating an agent with different beliefs,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt8bh1c3v6, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Salanie, Francois & Treich, Nicolas, 2002. "Regulating an agent with different beliefs," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt2224h6h7, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Minh Ha-Duong, 1998.
"Quasi-option value and climate policy choices,"
- Fisher, Anthony C. & Hanemann, W. Michael, 1987. "Quasi-option value: Some misconceptions dispelled," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 183-190, June.
- Robert A. Jones & Joseph M. Ostroy, 1979.
"Flexibilty and Uncertainty,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
163, UCLA Department of Economics.
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:2220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manjira Datta & Leonard J. Mirman & Edward E. Schlee, 2002. "Optimal Experimentation in Signal Dependent Decision Problems," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 577-608, May.
- Gollier, C. & Jullien, B. & Treich, N., 1997. "Learning and Irreversibility: An Econmic Interpretation of the "Precautionnary Principle"," Papers 97.470, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521283694 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nicolas Treich, 2001. "What is the Economic Meaning of the Precautionary Principle?," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 334-345, July.
- Boyer, Marcel, 2003. "Jean-Jacques Laffont 1947-2004," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 79(4), pages 397-398, DÃ©cembre.
- John Quiggin, 2005.
"The precautionary principle in environmental policy and the theory of choice under uncertainty,"
Murray-Darling Program Working Papers
WPM05_3, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Quiggin, John, 2005. "The Precautionary Principle in Environmental Policy and the Theory of Choice under Uncertainty," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 149847, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Olivier Godard, 2005. "The precautionary principle. Between social norms and economic constructs," Working Papers hal-00243008, HAL.
- Iulie Aslaksen & Bent Natvig & Inger Nordal, 2004. "Environmental risk and the precautionary principle. “Late lessons from early warnings” applied to genetically modified plants," Discussion Papers 398, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Arthur E. Attema & Anna K. Lugnér & Talitha L. Feenstra, 2010. "Investment in antiviral drugs: a real options approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(10), pages 1240-1254.
- Clapp, Jennifer, 2008. "Illegal GMO releases and corporate responsibility: Questioning the effectiveness of voluntary measures," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 348-358, June.
- Lawrence H. Summers & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 2008.
"Policymaking for Posterity,"
NBER Working Papers
14359, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peterson, Deborah C., 2006. "Precaution: principles and practice in Australian environmental and natural resource management," Conference/Workshop Proceedings 31906, Productivity Commission.
- Marcello Basili & Mauriziop Franzini, 2005. "The Avian Flu Disease: A Case of Precautionary Failure," Department of Economics University of Siena 454, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Michael Finus & Pedro Pintassilgo, 2010.
"International Environmental Agreements under Uncertainty: Does the Veil of Uncertainty Help?,"
1003, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Finus & Pedro Pintassilgo, 2012. "International environmental agreements under uncertainty: does the 'veil of uncertainty' help?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 736-764, October.
- Finus, Michael & Pintassilgo, Pedro, 2010. "International Environmental Agreements under Uncertainty: Does the Veil of Uncertainty Help?," Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers 2010-7, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve.
- Michael Finus & Pedro Pintassilgo, 2010. "International Environmental Agreements under Uncertainty: Does the Veil of Uncertainty Help?," Working Papers 2010.79, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hallegatte, Stephane & Shah, Ankur & Lempert, Robert & Brown, Casey & Gill, Stuart, 2012. "Investment decision making under deep uncertainty -- application to climate change," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6193, The World Bank.
- Louis Kaplow & David Weisbach, 2011. "Discount rates, social judgments, individuals’ risk preferences, and uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 125-143, April.
- Annette Weier & Paul Loke, 2007. "Precaution and the Precautionary Principle: two Australian case studies," Staff Working Papers 0705, Productivity Commission, Government of Australia.
- Grijalva, Therese & Berrens, Robert P. & Shaw, W. Douglass, 2011. "Species preservation versus development: An experimental investigation under uncertainty," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(5), pages 995-1005, March.
- de Zeeuw, Aart & Zemel, Amos, 2012.
"Regime shifts and uncertainty in pollution control,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 939-950.
- Aart de Zeeuw & Amos Zemel, 2012. "Regime Shifts and Uncertainty in Pollution Control," CESifo Working Paper Series 3697, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peterson, Deborah C., 2006. "Precaution: principles and practice in Australian environmental and natural resource management," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 137764, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Finus, Michael & Pintassilgo, Pedro, 2009. "The Role of Uncertainty and Learning for the Success of International Climate Agreements," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2009-16, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Turvey, Calum G. & Mojduszka, Eliza M., 2005. "The Precautionary Principle and the law of unintended consequences," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 145-161, April.
- Kimberly Burnett & James Roumasset & Yacov Tsur, 2007. "Delaying the Catastrophic Arrival of the Brown Tree Snake to Hawaii," Working Papers 200715, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Main contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.