Dynamic adjustment of supply constrained disequilibria to Walrasian equilibria
AbstractIt is well-known that the classical Walrasian tatonnement process of adjusting prices does not need to converge.In several papers Weddepohl has shown cyclic or even chaotic behavior in discrete time tatonnement processes.Starting from a trivial non-trade disequilibrium with complete rationing on the supplies at a given vector of initial prices, a quantity and price adjustment process is proposed, converging always to a Walrasian equilibrium.At any price and rationing system generated by the process all markets clear, only supply rationing occurs, in the short run only rationing schemes are adjusted and in the long run both prices and rationings are adjusted.Furthermore, prices can only take values equal or above their initial values, while supply rationing only may occur when the corresponding price is on its initial value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-89455.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 2002. "Dynamic Adjustment of Supply Constrained Disequilibria to Walrasian Equilibrium," Discussion Paper 2002-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kamiya, Kazuya, 1990. "A Globally Stable Price Adjustment Process," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1481-85, November.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J. & Venniker, R., 1994.
"Equilibrium adjustment of disequilibrium prices,"
1994-84, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Van Der Laan, G. & Talman, A. J. J., 1987.
"A convergent price adjustment process,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 119-123.
- Bala, Venkatesh & Majumdar, Mukul, 1992. "Chaotic Tatonnement," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 437-45, October.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1959. "Some Examples of Global Instability of the Competitive Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 79, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Weddepohl, Claus, 1995. "A cautious price adjustment mechanism: Chaotic behavior," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 293-300, July.
- Day, Richard H. & Pianigiani, Giulio, 1991. "Statistical Dynamics and Economics," Working Paper Series 293, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- van der LAAN, Gerard, .
"Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-467, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Laan, Gerard van der, 1982. "Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 83-97, January.
- Weddepohl, Claus, 1987. "Supply-constrained equilibria in economies with indexed prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 203-222, December.
- Dehez, Pierre & Dreze, Jacques H., 1984. "On supply-constrained equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 172-182, June.
- Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 1985. "Adjustment processes for finding economic equilibria," Research Memorandum 174, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Day, Richard H. & Pianigiani, Giulio, 1991. "Statistical dynamics and economics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 37-83, July.
- Saari, Donald G, 1985. "Iterative Price Mechanisms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1117-31, September.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/88419 is not listed on IDEAS
- Smale, Steve, 1976. "A convergent process of price adjustment and global newton methods," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 107-120, July.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1984. "Supply-constrained fixed price equilibria in monetary economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 171-187, October.
- Claus Weddepohl, 1997. "Simulating tatonnement in a production economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 551-558.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Veendorp, E C H, 1975. "Stable Spillovers among Substitutes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 445-56, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.