Monetary and Fiscal Policy Design under EMU: A Dynamic Game Approach
AbstractThis paper analyzes the problem of designing macroeconomic stabilization policies within the European Monetary Union (EMU) as a dynamic game between a centralized monetary authority, the European Central Bank (ECB), and national fiscal policy makers. Non-cooperative feedback Nash equilibrium and cooperative Nash bargaining solutions are determined under various assumptions about r ationing regimes in goods and labor markets and structural characteristics of the economies involved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-81174.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Bas van Aarle & Jacob Engwerda & Joseph Plasmans & Arie Weeren, 2000. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Design under EMU: A Dynamic Game Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 262, CESifo Group Munich.
- Van Aarle B. & Engwerda J.C. & Plasmans J. & Weeren A., 1999. "Monetary and fiscal pollcy design under EMU: a dynamie game approach," Working Papers 1999041, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Aarle, B. van & Engwerda, J.C. & Plasmans, J.E.J. & Weeren, A.J.T.M., 1999. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Design under EMU: A Dynamic Game Approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-81534, Tilburg University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Basar, Tamer & d'Orey, Vasco, 1988.
"Dynamic Strategic Monetary Policies and Coordination in Interdependent Economies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 341-61, June.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Tamer Basar & Vasco d'Orey, 1988. "Dynamic Strategic Monetary Policies and Coordination in Interdependent Economies," NBER Working Papers 2467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hughes Hallett, A J & Vines, D, 1993. "On the Possible Costs of European Monetary Union," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 61(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Barrell, Ray & Sefton, James, 1997. "Fiscal Policy and the Masstricht Solvency Criteria," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(3), pages 259-79, June.
- Reinhard Neck & Engelbert Dockner, 1995. "Commitment and coordination in a dynamic game model of international economic policy-making," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 5-28, January.
- Engwerda, J.C. & Aarle, B. van & Plasmans, J.E.J., 1997. "The (in)finite horizon open-loop Nash LQ Game: An application to EMU," Discussion Paper 1997-84, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- German, Israel, 1985. "Disequilibrium Dynamics and the Stability of Quasi Equilibria," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 571-96, August.
- Marco BUTI & Daniele FRANCO & Hedwig ONGENA, 1997.
"Budgeetary Policies during Recessions : Retrospective Application of the Stability and Growth Pact” to the Post-War Period,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1997041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- M. Buti & D. Franco & H. Ongena, 1997. "Budgetary Policies during Recessions - Retrospective Application of the "Stability and Growth Pact" to the Post-War Period," European Economy - Economic Papers 121, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jensen, Svend Erik Hougaard & Jensen, Lars Grue, 1995. "Debt, deficits and transition to EMU: A small country analysis," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 3-25, March.
- Currie, David & Levine, Paul & Pearlman, Joseph, 1992.
"European monetary union or hard EMS?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1185-1204, August.
- Engwerda, J.C. & Aarle, B. van & Plasmans, J.E.J., 1998. "Fiscal Policy Interaction in the EMU," Discussion Paper 1998-113, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.