A Treatise on Labour. A Matching-Model Analysis of Labour-Market Programmes
AbstractAbstract: Labour-market programmes are often put forward as a means of reducing unemployment; but they are not without problems. Programmes may lead to crowding out of regular employment and may even have the adverse effect of increasing unemployment. This thesis looks theoretically at how labour-market programmes can be used within a matching-model context. Various model set ups are used and the overall result of this thesis is that programmes can crowd in or crowd out regular employment, depending on the structure of the labour market. Crowding in is only guaranteed when programmes are used as a means of reducing the level of unemployment benefits in the economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-73594.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Bean, Charles, 1989.
" Why Does Unemployment Persist?,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 371-96.
- Jackman, Richard & Layard, Richard, 1991. "Does Long-term Unemployment Reduce a Person's Chance of a Job? A Time-Series Test," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 93-106, February.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1985. "Taxes, Subsidies, and Equilibrium Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 121-33, January.
- van Ours, J., 1991. "The Efficiency of the Dutch Labour Market in Matching Unemployment and Vacancies," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142205, Tilburg University.
- Holmlund, B. & Linden, J., 1991.
"Job Matching, Temporary Public Employment, and Equilibrium Unemployment,"
1991l, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Linden, Johan, 1993. "Job matching, temporary public employment, and equilibrium unemployment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 329-343, July.
- repec:pri:indrel:711 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson L., 1988.
"Plant Turnover And Gross Employment Flows In The U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
9-87-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "Plant Turnover and Gross Employment Flows in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 48-71, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.