Nested maximin Latin hypercube designs
AbstractIn the field of design of computer experiments (DoCE), Latin hypercube designs are frequently used for the approximation and optimization of black-boxes. In certain situations, we need a special type of designs consisting of two separate designs, one being a subset of the other. These nested designs can be used to deal with training and test sets, models with different levels of accuracy, linking parameters, and sequential evaluations. In this paper, we construct nested maximin Latin hypercube designs for up to ten dimensions. We show that different types of grids should be considered when constructing nested designs and discuss how to determine which grid to use for a specific application. To determine nested maximin designs for dimensions higher than two, four different variants of the ESE-algorithm of Jin et al. (2005) are introduced and compared. In the appendix, maximin distances for different numbers of points are provided; the corresponding nested maximin designs can be found on the website http://www.spacefillingdesigns.nl.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3736835.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (2010) v.41, p.371-395
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- C90 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-29 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dam, E.R. van & Hertog, D. den & Husslage, B.G.M. & Melissen, H., 2007.
"Maximin Latin hypercube designs in two dimensions,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-196763, Tilburg University.
- Dam, E.R. van & Rennen, G. & Husslage, B.G.M., 2007.
"Bounds for Maximin Latin Hypercube Designs,"
2007-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Husslage, B.G.M. & Rennen, G. & Dam, E.R. van & Hertog, D. den, 2006. "Space-Filling Latin Hypercube Designs for Computer Experiments (Replaced by CentER DP 2008-104)," Discussion Paper 2006-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Husslage, B.G.M. & Dam, E.R. van & Hertog, D. den, 2005. "Nested Maximin Latin Hypercube Designs in Two Dimensions," Discussion Paper 2005-79, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dam, E.R. van & Husslage, B.G.M. & Hertog, D. den, 2004.
"One-Dimensional Nested Maximin Designs,"
2004-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dam, E.R. van & Hertog, D. den & Husslage, B.G.M. & Rennen, G., 2011. "Space-filling Latin hypercube designs for computer experiments," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4334874, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.