Differences in social capital between 54 western European regions
AbstractBeugelsdijk S. and Van Schaik T. (2005) Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions, Regional Studies 39 , 1053-1064. Based on the extant literature, a newly developed index measuring social capital at the regional level in Europe is presented. It is shown that there are large regional differences on this social capital index. It was tested if higher scores on this social capital index correlate with higher levels of economic development and regional economic growth in 54 Western European regions. Though further research is required, these preliminary results suggest a positive relationship exists between social capital and regional economic development. The paper concludes with suggestions for future empirical research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-172427.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Regional Studies (2005) v.39, p.1053-1064
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Ton Van Schaik, 2005. "Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1053-1064.
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John F. Helliwell, 1996. "Economic Growth and Social Capital in Asia," NBER Working Papers 5470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Ton Van Schaik, 2003.
"Social capital and regional economic growth,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 2002.
"Bowling Alone: a review essay,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 259-273, March.
- Thomas Farole & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2007. "Social capital, rules, and institutions: A cross-country investigation," Working Papers 2007-12, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Akcomak, Semih & Ter Weel, Bas, 2007. "How do social capital and government support affect innovation and growth? Evidence from the EU regional support programmes," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 009, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Schild, Christopher-Johannes, 2013. "Generalized trust and regional innovation activity," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 02/2012, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2009.
"Social capital, innovation and growth: Evidence from Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 544-567, July.
- Akcomak, Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2006. "Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 040, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2008. "Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 3341, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Keld Laursen & Francesca Masciarelli, 2007. "The effect of regional social capital and external knowledge acquisition on process and product innovation," ROCK Working Papers 043, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 12 Jun 2008.
- Keld Laursen & Francesca Masciarelli & Toke Reichstein, 2010. "A Matter of Location: The Role of Regional Social Capital in Overcoming the Liability of Newness in R&D Acquisition Activities," DRUID Working Papers 10-25, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Roel Rutten & Hans Westlund & Frans Boekema, 2010.
"The Spatial Dimension of Social Capital,"
European Planning Studies,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 863-871, June.
- Sørensen, Jens Fyhn Lykke, 2011. "Undeclared work: A dark side of social trust?," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 888-894.
- Sriya Iyer & Michael Kitson & Bernard Toh, 2005. "Social capital, economic growth and regional development," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1015-1040.
- Mohammad Javad Razmi & Adegbemi Sahar Sherkat Bazzazan, 2012. "A Review of the Effect of Social Capital on Human Development in Iran," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 448-459.
- Halkos, George & Jones, Nikoleta, 2011. "Social factors influencing the decision to pay for the protection of biodiversity: A case study in two national parks of Northern Greece," MPRA Paper 34581, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2008. "The role of social capital in homogeneous society: Review of recent researches in Japan," MPRA Paper 11385, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Ezcurra, 2009. "Does Income Polarization Affect Economic Growth? The Case of the European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 267-285.
- Nikoleta Jones, 2010. "Investigating the influence of social costs and benefits of environmental policies through social capital theory," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 229-244, September.
- Gurrieri, Antonia Rosa, 2008. "Knowledge network dissemination in a family-firm sector," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2380-2389, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.