Differences in social capital between 54 western European regions
AbstractBeugelsdijk S. and Van Schaik T. (2005) Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions, Regional Studies 39 , 1053-1064. Based on the extant literature, a newly developed index measuring social capital at the regional level in Europe is presented. It is shown that there are large regional differences on this social capital index. It was tested if higher scores on this social capital index correlate with higher levels of economic development and regional economic growth in 54 Western European regions. Though further research is required, these preliminary results suggest a positive relationship exists between social capital and regional economic development. The paper concludes with suggestions for future empirical research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-172427.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Regional Studies (2005) v.39, p.1053-1064
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Ton Van Schaik, 2005. "Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1053-1064.
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durlauf,S.N., 2000.
"Bowling alone : a review essay,"
Working papers, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems
29, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 2002. "Bowling Alone: a review essay," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 259-273, March.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Ton Van Schaik, 2003.
"Social capital and regional economic growth,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Schaik, A.B.T.M. van, 2001. "Social Capital and Regional Economic Growth," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research 2001-102, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- John F. Helliwell, 1996. "Economic Growth and Social Capital in Asia," NBER Working Papers 5470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schild, Christopher-Johannes, 2013. "Generalized trust and regional innovation activity," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 02/2012, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Keld Laursen & Francesca Masciarelli & Toke Reichstein, 2010. "A Matter of Location: The Role of Regional Social Capital in Overcoming the Liability of Newness in R&D Acquisition Activities," DRUID Working Papers, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies 10-25, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Sriya Iyer & Michael Kitson & Bernard Toh, 2005. "Social capital, economic growth and regional development," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1015-1040.
- Mohammad Javad Razmi & Adegbemi Sahar Sherkat Bazzazan, 2012. "A Review of the Effect of Social Capital on Human Development in Iran," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 448-459.
- Roberto Ezcurra, 2009. "Does Income Polarization Affect Economic Growth? The Case of the European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 267-285.
- Halkos, George & Jones, Nikoleta, 2011. "Social factors influencing the decision to pay for the protection of biodiversity: A case study in two national parks of Northern Greece," MPRA Paper 34581, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gurrieri, Antonia Rosa, 2008. "Knowledge network dissemination in a family-firm sector," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2380-2389, December.
- Thomas Farole & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2007. "Social capital, rules, and institutions: A cross-country investigation," Working Papers, Instituto MadrileÃ±o de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales 2007-12, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Rutten, Roel & Westlund, Hans & Boekema, Frans, 2009.
"The spatial dimension of social capital,"
30806, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roel Rutten & Hans Westlund & Frans Boekema, 2010. "The Spatial Dimension of Social Capital," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 863-871, June.
- Nikoleta Jones, 2010. "Investigating the influence of social costs and benefits of environmental policies through social capital theory," Policy Sciences, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 229-244, September.
- Semih Akçomak & Hanna Müller-Zick, 2013. "Trust and Innovation in Europe: Causal, spatial and non-linear forces," STPS Working Papers 1304, STPS - Science and Technology Policy Studies Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2013.
- Akcomak, Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2006.
"Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe,"
MERIT Working Papers
040, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2009. "Social capital, innovation and growth: Evidence from Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 544-567, July.
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2008. "Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 3341, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sørensen, Jens Fyhn Lykke, 2011. "Undeclared work: A dark side of social trust?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 888-894.
- Vicente Rios IbÃ¡Ã±ez & Roberto Ezcurra, 2013. "Volatility and regional growth in Europe: Does space matter?," ERSA conference papers ersa13p133, European Regional Science Association.
- Nikoleta Jones & Konstantinos Evangelinos & Petros Gaganis & Eugenia Polyzou, 2011. "Citizens’ Perceptions on Water Conservation Policies and the Role of Social Capital," Water Resources Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 509-522, January.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2008. "The role of social capital in homogeneous society: Review of recent researches in Japan," MPRA Paper 11385, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soogwan Doh & Connie McNeely, 2012. "A multi-dimensional perspective on social capital and economic development: an exploratory analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 821-843, December.
- Monica Szeles, 2013. "Re-examining the relationship between economic growth and inequality in the New Member States," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, Springer, vol. 47(5), pages 2799-2813, August.
- Keld Laursen & Francesca Masciarelli, 2007. "The effect of regional social capital and external knowledge acquisition on process and product innovation," ROCK Working Papers, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy 043, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 12 Jun 2008.
- Gurrieri, Antonia Rosa, 2013. "Networking entrepreneurs," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 193-204.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.