Taxation, pension and saving in a small open economy
AbstractAn overlapping generations model of a small open economy is used to explore several policy options aimed at reducing the burden of income taxes and pay-as-you-go contributions on labor income so as to improve the incentives to supply labor. Including the return of funded collective pension plans in the tax base turns out to be counterproductive. Cutting pay-as-you-go benefits, in contrast, succeeds in improving efficiency in general and labor-market incentives in particular. Under specific variants of the funded collective plan, reducing pay-as-you-go benefits even proves to be Pareto welfare improving. Copyright 1994 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-148754.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Scandinavian Journal of Economics (1994) v.96, p.403-424
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Broer, D Peter & Westerhout, Ed W M T & Bovenberg, A Lans, 1994. " Taxation, Pensions and Saving in a Small Open Economy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(3), pages 403-24.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michel Beine & Francis Bisman & Frédéric Docquier & Sébastien Laurent, 2001.
"Life cycle behaviour of US households: a non linear GMM estimation on pseudo-panel data,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10447, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beine, Michel & Bismans, Francis & Docquier, Frederic & Laurent, Sebastien, 2001. "Life-cycle behaviour of US households: A nonlinear GMM estimation on pseudopanel data," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 713-729, October.
- Lassila, Jukka, 2002. "An Overlapping-Generations Simulation Model for the Lithuanian Economy," Discussion Papers 669, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Turalay Kenc & Serdar Sayan, 1998. "Transmission of Demographic Shock Effects from Large to Small," GE, Growth, Math methods 9804001, EconWPA.
- Serdar Sayan & Ali Emre Uyar, 2002.
"Directions of Trade Flows and Labor Movements between High- And Low-Population Growth Countries: An Overlapping Generations General Equilibrium Analysis,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Serdar Sayan & Ali Emre Uyar, 2001. "Directions of Trade Flows and Labor Movements between high-and Low-Population Growth Countries: An Overlapping Generations General Equilibrium Analysis," Departmental Working Papers 0108, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Serdar Sayan & Turalay Kenc, 1998. "Transmission of Demographic Shock Effects from Large to Small Countries : An Overlapping Generations CGE Analysis," Departmental Working Papers 985, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 1997. "Capital Income Taxation and the Sustainability of Permanent Primary Deficits," Discussion Paper 1997-11, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bettendorf, Leon & Broer, Peter, 2003.
"The budgeting and economic consequences of ageing in the Netherlands,"
Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 987-1013, September.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bettendorf , L.J.H. & Broer, D.P., 2003. "The budgeting and economic consequences of ageing in the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-383717, Tilburg University.
- Roel Beetsma, 2001. "The Budgeting and Economic Consequences of Ageing in The Netherlands," CESifo Working Paper Series 630, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fabio Pammolli, 2013. "Demography, Sustainability, and Growth Notes on the future of the European "Social Market" Economy," Working Papers 01-2013, Competitività Regole Mecati (CERM).
- BOUZAHZAH, Mohamed & DE LA CROIX, David & DOCQUIER, Frédéric, .
"Policy reforms and growth in computable OLG economies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1669, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bouzahzah, Mohamed & De la Croix, David & Docquier, Frederic, 2002. "Policy reforms and growth in computable OLG economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2093-2113, October.
- Bouzahzah, Mohamed & de la Croix, David & Docquier, Frédéric, 2000. "Policy Reforms and Growth in Computable OLG Economies," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000027, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Rasmussen, Tobias N. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2004. "Modeling overlapping generations in a complementarity format," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1383-1409, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.