Profitable horizontal mergers without cost advantage: The role of intenal organization, information and market structure
AbstractMerged firms are typically rather complex organizations. Accordingly, merger has a more profound effect on the structure of a market than simply reducing the number of competitors. We show that this may render horizontal mergers profitable and welfare-improving even if costs are linear. The driving force behind these results, which help to reconcile theory with various empirical findings, is the assumption that information about output decisions flows more freely within a merged firm. This induces a commitment advantage for the merged firm. Copyright (c) The London School of Economics and Political Science 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University in its series Open Access publications from Tilburg University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-143121.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economica (2004) v.71, p.575-587
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Steffen Huck & Kai A. Konrad & Wieland Müller, 2004. "Profitable Horizontal Mergers without Cost Advantages: The Role of Internal Organization, Information and Market Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(284), pages 575-587, November.
- Huck, Steffen & Konrad, Kai A. & Müller, Wieland, 2001. "Profitable horizontal mergers without cost advantages: The role of internal organization, information, and market structure," Discussion Papers, various Research Units FS IV 01-05, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Steffen Huck & Kai A. Konrad & Wieland Müller, 2001. "Profitable Horizontal Mergers without Cost Advantages: The Role of Internal Organization, Information, and Market Structure," CESifo Working Paper Series 435, CESifo Group Munich.
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1990.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 107-26, March.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Papers 17, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Economics Working Papers 8880, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ajeyo Banerjee & E. Woodrow Eckard, 1998. "Are Mega-Mergers Anticompetitive? Evidence from the First Great Merger Wave," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(4), pages 803-827, Winter.
- Raymond Deneckere & Carl Davidson, 1985. "Incentives to Form Coalitions with Bertrand Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 473-486, Winter.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1994.
"On Flexibility in Oligopoly,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
21, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 2003.
"Horizontal mergers with free-entry: why cost efficiencies may be a weak defense and asset sales a poor remedy,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 607-623, May.
- Luis M. B. Cabral, 2001. "Horizontal Mergers With Free-Entry: Why Cost Efficiencies May Be a Weak Defense and Asset Sales a Poor Remedy," Working Papers 01-05, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W, 1991. "Increasing the Profits of a Subset of Firms in Oligopoly Models with Strategic Substitutes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 658-65, June.
- Pesendorfer, Martin, 2003.
" Horizontal Mergers in the Paper Industry,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(3), pages 495-515, Autumn.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 1999. "A Reexamination of the Conglomerate Merger Wave in the 1960s: An Internal Capital Markets View," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 1131-1152, 06.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988.
"Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria,"
88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990. "Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Yim, Hyung Rok, 2008. "Quality shock vs. market shock: Lessons from recently established rapidly growing U.S. startups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 141-164, March.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume & Lars Sørgard, 2002.
"Downstream Merger with Oligopolistic Input Suppliers,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
733, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune & Sørgard, Lars, 2002. "Downstream merger with oligopolistic input suppliers," Discussion Papers, various Research Units FS IV 01-22, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Sørgard, Lars & Straume, Odd Rune, 2003.
"National versus International Mergers in Unionised Oligopoly,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4040, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume & Lars Sørgard, 2006. "National versus international mergers in unionized oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(1), pages 212-233, 03.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune & Sørgard, Lars, 2003. "National versus international mergers in unionised oligopoly," Working Papers in Economics 12/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- José Méndez-Naya, 2008. "Merger profitability in mixed oligopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 94(2), pages 167-176, July.
- Christou, Charalambos & Kotseva, Rossitsa & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2007. "Pricing, Investments and Mergers with Intertemporal Capacity Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 6433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- BOCCARD, Nicolas, 2009. "On efficiency, concentration and welfare," CORE Discussion Papers 2009040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ziss, Steffen, 2007. "Hierarchies, intra-firm competition and mergers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 237-260, April.
- Huck, S. & Konrad, K.A. & Müller, W., 2005.
"Merger Without Costs Advantage,"
2005-019, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Artz, Benjamin & Heywood, John S. & McGinty, Matthew, 2009. "The merger paradox in a mixed oligopoly," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 1-10, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:12:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rasch, Alexander & Wambach, Achim, 2009. "Internal decision-making rules and collusion," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 703-715, November.
- José Méndez Naya, 2007. "Privatización y fusiones en oligopolios mixtos," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1 Year 20), pages 37-52, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economists Online Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.