Efficiency wages and local wage bargaining
AbstractIn the literature on wage drift, it is often argued that strikes or work-to-rule practices are used to force employers to pay a wage rate that exceeds the contract wage. Here, the authors introduce the efficiency wage argument as a foundation for bargaining about wage drift. Contrary to the view in most bargaining models, where firms and unions struggle to divide a fixed pie, given employment, they take the relation between wages and revenues explicitly into account. The implications for wages and employment appear to differ not only with respect to the order of magnitude but also in a qualitative sense. Copyright 1996 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht University in its series Open Access publications from Maastricht University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-14780.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The Scandinavian journal of economics (1996) v.98, p.119-127
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Home.htm
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moene, K.O. & Wallerstein, M. & Hoel, M., 1992. "Bargaining Structure and Economic Performance," Memorandum 10/1992, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Holden, Steinar, 1988. " Local and Central Wage Bargaining," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(1), pages 93-99.
- Antonio Garofalo & Concetto Paolo Vinci, 2001. "Employment Oriented Policies In A Trade Union Local Wage Bargaining Model," Working Papers 7_2001, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Jung, Sven & Schnabel, Claus, 2009.
"Paying More than Necessary? The Wage Cushion in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4278, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sven Jung & Claus Schnabel, 2011. "Paying More than Necessary? The Wage Cushion in Germany," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 25(2), pages 182-197, 06.
- Jung, Sven & Schnabel, Claus, 2009. "Paying more than necessary? The wage cushion in Germany," Discussion Papers 63, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Bastos, Paulo & Monteiro, Natália P. & Straume, Odd Rune, 2009.
"Firm heterogeneity and wages in unionised labour markets: Theory and evidence,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 440-450, August.
- Paulo Bastos & Natália P. Monteiro & Odd Rune Straume, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and wages in unionised labour markets: Theory and evidence," NIPE Working Papers 14/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Paulo Bastos & Natália P. Monteiro & Odd Rune Straume, . "Firm Heterogeneity and Wages in Unionised Labour Markets: Theory and Evidence," Discussion Papers 08/38, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Pull, Kerstin, 1999. "What is the fair wage? A model of as-if-co-operation," Quint-Essenzen 58, Institute for Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Community (IAAEG), University of Trier.
- Buscher, Herbert S., 2003. "Gibt es eine Lohnkurve in den neuen Bundesländern? (Is there a wage curve in eastern German?)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 36(4), pages 461-475.
- Pull, Kerstin, 1996. "Übertarifliche Entlohnung : ein Ergebnis vorweggenommener Verhandlungen (Wages above the collectively agreed level: a result of anticipated negotiations)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 29(4), pages 607-615.
- Tobias Kronenberg, 2008. "How does reciprocal behaviour of workers influence the wage setting of unions?," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 303-320, December.
- Frank Scharr, 2005. "Tarifbindung, Rententeilung und Konzessionsverträge als Einflussgrößen der Lohnhöhe in Unternehmen : eine Untersuchung mit Mikrodaten für thüringische Firmen," ifo Dresden Studien, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 39, October.
- Vesna Stavrevska, 2011. "The efficiency wages perspective to wage rigidity in the open economy: a survey," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 273-299, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J.Odekerken).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.