Interest expectations and exchange rates news
AbstractUsing a new survey data set of matched exchange rate and interest rate expectations for eight currencies relative to the German mark, we examine empirically the relationship between exchange rate returns, `news' and risk premia. "News" on interest differentials enters significantly in equations for the difference between the spot rate and the lagged forward rate for the British pound, Japanese yen, Spanish peseta and the US dollar. An unexpected rise in the interest rate differential tends to strengthen the domestic exchange rate. For each of these currencies, we also find significant effects of our ex-ante measure of the risk premium. In addition, we investigate the effect of lagged interest rate differentials as proxy for the risk premium and find that they do not capture time-varying risk premia as is widely suggested in the literature, but probably capture a peso-problem, learning about a policy change, a market-inefficiency or a combination of these factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht University in its series Open Access publications from Maastricht University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13912.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Empirical economics (1998) v.23, p.525-534
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Home.htm
Other versions of this item:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick, 1992.
"Characterizing Predictable Components in Excess Returns on Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J, 1992. " Characterizing Predictable Components in Excess Returns on Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 467-509, June.
- Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Wolff, Christian C.P., 2001.
"Scandinavian forward discount bias risk premia,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13924, Maastricht University.
- Zsolt Darvas & G�bor Rappai & Zolt�n Schepp, 2006.
"Uncovering Yield Parity: A new insight into the UIP puzzle through the stationarity of long maturity forward rates,"
DNB Working Papers
098, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Zsolt Darvas & GÃ¡bor Rappai & ZoltÃ¡n Schepp, 2007. "Uncovering Yield Parity: A New Insight into the UIP Puzzle through the Stationarity of Long Maturity Forward Rates," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 84, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J.Odekerken).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.