Strategy-proof voting for single issues and cabinets
AbstractIn a model with a continuum of voters with symmetric single-peaked preferences on the one-dimensional unit interval (representing the political spectrum) a voting rule assigns to each profile of votes a point in the interval. We characterize all voting rules that are strategy-proof, anonymous, Pareto optimal, and which satisfy a weak form of continuity. This result paves the way for studying cabinet formation rules. A cabinet is an interval which has obtained sufficiently many votes. The main result on cabinet formation is a characterization of all cabinet formation rules that are strategy-proof with respect to the endpoints of the cabinet, anonymous, Pareto optimal, and continuous.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht University in its series Open Access publications from Maastricht University with number urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-12200.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Public choice (2006) v.126, p.27-43
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Home.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Stefan Maus & Hans Peters & Ton Storcken, 2006. "Strategy-proof voting for single issues and cabinets," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 27-43, January.
- Maus,Stefan & Peters,Hans & Storcken,Ton, 2003. "Strategy-proof voting for single issues and cabinets," Research Memoranda 044, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus NEHRING & Clemens PUPPE, 1994.
"Continuous Extensions of an Order on a Set to the Power Set,"
Vienna Economics Papers
vie9402, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 1996. "Continuous Extensions of an Order on a Set to the Power Set," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 456-479, February.
- Nehring, K. & Puppe, C., 1994. "Continuous Extentions of an Order on a Set to the Power Set," Papers 94-05, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Zhou, Lin, 1991. "Impossibility of Strategy-Proof Mechanisms in Economies with Pure Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 107-19, January.
- Ehlers, Lars & Peters, Hans & Storcken, Ton, 2002.
"Strategy-Proof Probabilistic Decision Schemes for One-Dimensional Single-Peaked Preferences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 408-434, August.
- Ehlers, Lars & Peters, Hans & Storcken, Ton, 2002. "Strategy-proof probabilistic decision schemes for one-dimensional single-peaked preferences," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-12239, Maastricht University.
- Klaus, Bettina & Storcken, Ton, 2002.
"Choice correspondences for public goods,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-20040, Maastricht University.
- Straffin, Philip Jr., 1994. "Power and stability in politics," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 32, pages 1127-1151 Elsevier.
- Kannai, Yakar & Peleg, Bezalel, 1984. "A note on the extension of an order on a set to the power set," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 172-175, February.
- Bossert, Walter, 1989. "On the extension of preferences over a set to the power set: An axiomatic characterization of a quasi-ordering," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 84-92, October.
- Peters, Hans & van der Stel, Hans & Storcken, Ton, 1992.
"Pareto Optimality, Anonymity, and Strategy-Proofness in Location Problems,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 221-35.
- Peters, H. & Stel, H. van der & Storcken, T., 1992. "Pareto optimality, anonymity, and strategy-proofness in location problems," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-12282, Maastricht University.
- Hans Peters & Souvik Roy & Ton Storcken, 2011. "Strategy-proof voting rules on a multidimensional policy space for a continuum of voters with elliptic preferences," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 485-496, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J.Odekerken).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.