Numéraire-invariant preferences in financial modeling
AbstractWe provide an axiomatic foundation for the representation of numéraire-invariant preferences of economic agents acting in a financial market. In a static environment, the simple axioms turn out to be equivalent to the following choice rule: the agent prefers one outcome over another if and only if the expected (under the agent's subjective probability) relative rate of return of the latter outcome with respect to the former is nonpositive. With the addition of a transitivity requirement, this last preference relation has an extension that can be numerically represented by expected logarithmic utility. We also treat the case of a dynamic environment where consumption streams are the objects of choice. There, a novel result concerning a canonical representation of unit-mass optional measures enables us to explicitly solve the investment--consumption problem by separating the two aspects of investment and consumption. Finally, we give an application to the problem of optimal numéraire investment with a random time-horizon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its series Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science with number http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/44993/.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The annals of applied probability (2010) v.20, p.1697-1728
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordan Zitkovic, 2005. "Utility Maximization with a Stochastic Clock and an Unbounded Random Endowment," Papers math/0503516, arXiv.org.
- Samuelson, Paul A., 1979. "Why we should not make mean log of wealth big though years to act are long," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-307, December.
- Bouchard, Bruno & Pham, Huyen, 2004. "Wealth-Path Dependent Utility Maximization in Incomplete Markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1803, Paris Dauphine University.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"A Benchmark Approach to Finance,"
Research Paper Series
138, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Stefan Ankirchner & Steffen Dereich & Peter Imkeller, 2005. "The Shannon information of filtrations and the additional logarithmic utility of insiders," Papers math/0503013, arXiv.org, revised May 2006.
- Dirk Becherer, 2001. "The numeraire portfolio for unbounded semimartingales," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 327-341.
- Henry Allen Latane, 1959. "Criteria for Choice Among Risky Ventures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 144.
- Bruno Bouchard & Huyên Pham, 2004. "Wealth-path dependent utility maximization in incomplete markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 579-603, November.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Blanchet-Scalliet, Christophette & El Karoui, Nicole & Jeanblanc, Monique & Martellini, Lionel, 2008. "Optimal investment decisions when time-horizon is uncertain," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(11), pages 1100-1113, December.
- Li, Libo & Rutkowski, Marek, 2012. "Random times and multiplicative systems," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 122(5), pages 2053-2077.
- Kardaras, Constantinos & Platen, Eckhard, 2011.
"On the semimartingale property of discounted asset-price processes,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 121(11), pages 2678-2691, November.
- Constantinos Kardaras & Eckhard Platen, 2008. "On the semimartingale property of discounted asset-price processes," Papers 0803.1890, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSE Research Online).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.