Change-Point Tests for the Error Distribution in Non-parametric Regression. Scand. J. Stat
AbstractSeveral testing procedures are proposed that can detect change-points in the error distribution of non-parametric regression models. Different settings are considered where the change-point either occurs at some time point or at some value of the covariate. Fixed as well as random covariates are considered. Weak convergence of the suggested difference of sequential empirical processes based on non-parametrically estimated residuals to a Gaussian process is proved under the null hypothesis of no change-point. In the case of testing for a change in the error distribution that occurs with increasing time in a model with random covariates the test statistic is asymptotically distribution free and the asymptotic quantiles can be used for the test. This special test statistic can also detect a change in the regression function. In all other cases the asymptotic distribution depends on unknown features of the data-generating process and a bootstrap procedure is proposed in these cases. The small sample performances of the proposed tests are investigated by means of a simulation study and the tests are applied to a data example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain in its series Open Access publications from Université catholique de Louvain with number info:hdl:2078.1/35377.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Scandinavian Journal of Statistics : theory and applications (2009) v.36, p.518-541
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ogden, Todd & Parzen, Emanuel, 1996. "Data dependent wavelet thresholding in nonparametric regression with change-point applications," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 53-70, June.
- Beran, R.J. & Le Cam, L. & Millar, P.W., 1987. "Convergence of stochastic empirical measures," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 159-168, October.
- Lee, Sangyeol & Na, Seongryong, 2004. "A nonparametric test for the change of the density function in strong mixing processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 25-34, January.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/59436 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521496032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, October.
- Dietmar Ferger, 1994. "On the power of nonparametric changepoint-tests," Metrika, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 277-292, December.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Keilegom, I. van, 2006.
"Tests for Independence in Nonparametric Regression,"
2006-80, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Keilegom, I. van, 2008. "Tests for independence in nonparametric regression," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-192434, Tilburg University.
- Inoue, Atsushi, 2001. "Testing For Distributional Change In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 156-187, February.
- Grégoire, Gérard & Hamrouni, Zouhir, 2002. "Change Point Estimation by Local Linear Smoothing," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 56-83, October.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, October.
- Einmahl, John H. J., 2008. "Tests for independence in nonparametric regression. Stat. Sin," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/36594, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Ferger, Dietmar & Stute, Winfried, 1992. "Convergence of changepoint estimators," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 345-351, September.
- Oyet, Alwell J. & Sutradhar, Brajendra, 2003. "Testing variances in wavelet regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 97-109, January.
- Michael G. Akritas, 2001. "Non-parametric Estimation of the Residual Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 28(3), pages 549-567.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Tinti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.