The adjustment of financial ratios in the presence of soft budget constraints: evidence from Bulgaria
AbstractThis paper is the first to study the behaviour of financial ratios in an emerging economy of Central Europe. Using the entire population of company accounts in Bulgaria we find that for the financial ratios we considered, adjustment towards a target takes place but the speed of adjustment is lower than that for Western companies reported in earlier studies. Also, we find the adjustment of financial ratios in Bulgaria to be far slower in firms characterized by soft budget constraints, a widespread phenomenon in Central Europe. However, the speed of adjustment of most financial ratios shows up as significantly higher after the Bulgarian financial crisis in 1997. Our results indicate that the partial adjustment model may not be the most appropriate model for an emerging economy like Bulgaria. Further research needs to clarify how expectations are formed and financial ratios move over time in transition countries such as Bulgaria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain in its series Open Access publications from Université catholique de Louvain with number info:hdl:2078/118534.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The European Accounting Review (2004) v.13, p.131-159
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rockinger, Michael & Urga, Giovanni, 2000. "The Evolution of Stock Markets in Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 456-472, September.
- Chenggang Xu & Haizhou Huang, 1999.
"Institutions, Innovations, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 438-443, May.
- Peles, Yoram C & Schneller, Meir I, 1989. "The Duration of the Adjustment Process of Financial Ratios," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 527-32, August.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Smith, Abbie J., 2001. "Financial accounting information and corporate governance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 237-333, December.
- Qian, Yingyi & Xu, Chenggang, 1998. "Innovation and Bureaucracy under Soft and Hard Budget Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(1), pages 151-64, January.
- Aydin Ozkan, 2001. "Determinants of Capital Structure and Adjustment to Long Run Target: Evidence From UK Company Panel Data," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1-2), pages 175-198.
- Konings, Jozef & Rizov, Marian & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2003. "Investment and financial constraints in transition economies: micro evidence from Poland, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria and Romania," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 253-258, February.
- Sandra Poncet & Walter Steingress & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2008.
"Financial constraints in China: firm-level evidence,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
22608, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Poncet, Sandra & Steingress, Walter & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2010. "Financial constraints in China: Firm-level evidence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 411-422, September.
- Sandra Poncet & Walter Steingress & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2009. "Financial Constraints in China: Firm-Level Evidence," Working Papers 2009-29, CEPII research center.
- Sandra PONCET & Walter STEINGRESS & Hylke VANDENBUSSCHE, 2009. "Financial constraints in China: firm-level evidence," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009035, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Poncet, Sandra & Steingress, Walter & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2009. "Financial Constraints in China: Firm-Level Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 7132, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sandra, PONCET & Walter, STEINGRESS & Hylke, VANDENBUSSCHE, 2008. "Financial constraints in China : firm-level evidence," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2008048, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Poncet, Sandra & Steingress, Walter & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2009. "Financial constraints in China: firm-level evidence," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/219268, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Poncet, Sandra & Steingress, Walter & VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke, 2008. "Financial constraints in China: firm-level evidence," CORE Discussion Papers 2008079, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Tinti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.