Journal impact measures in bibliometric research
AbstractThe Impact Factor introduced by Eugene Garfield is a fundamental citation-based measure for significance and performance of scientific journals. It is perhaps the most popular bibliometric product used in bibliometrics itself, as well as outside the scientific community. First, a concise review of the background and history of the ISI impact factor and the basic ideas underlying it are given. A cross-citation matrix is used to visualise the construction of the Impact Factor and several related journal citation measures. Both strengths and flaws of the impact factor are discussed. Several attempts made by different authors to introduce more sophisticated journal citation measures and the reasons why many indicators aiming at a correction of methodological limitations of the Impact Factor were not successful are described.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/97104.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Scientometrics (2002) v.53, p.171-193
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
scientific literature; stochastic-model; citation; indicators; productivity; index;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Frances P. Ruane & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007.
"Centres of Research Excellence in Economics in the Republic of Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 38(3), pages 289â322.
- Frances Ruane & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "Centres of Research Excellence in Economics in the Republic of Ireland," Papers WP180, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Calderini, Mario & Franzoni, Chiara & Vezzulli, Andrea, 2007. "If star scientists do not patent: The effect of productivity, basicness and impact on the decision to patent in the academic world," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 303-319, April.
- Karol Paludkiewicz & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2010. "Qualitätsanalyse von Zeitschriften in den Wirtschaftswissenschaften – über Zitationsdatenbanken und Impaktfaktoren im Online-Zeitalter," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 63(21), pages 18-28, November.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011.
"Measuring economic journals’ citation efficiency: A data envelopment analysis approach,"
29893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Emm. Halkos & Nickolaos G. Tzeremes, 2011. "Measuring Economic Journals' Citation Efficiency: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2011_13, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Du, Yuxin & Teixeira, Aurora A.C., 2012. "A bibliometric account of Chinese economics research through the lens of the China Economic Review," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 743-762.
- Christian Seiler & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2011. "Ranking Economists and Economic Institutions Using RePEc: Some Remarks," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 96, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Christian Seiler & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2011. "Ranking Economists on the Basis of Many Indicators: An Alternative Approach Using RePEc Data," CESifo Working Paper Series 3691, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gonzalo Ordoñez & Alejandro Hernández & Carolina Hernández & Carolina Méndez, 2009. "Análisis bibliométrico de la Revista de Economía Institucional en sus primeros diez años," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 11(20), pages 309-353, January-J.
- Glänzel, Wolfgang & Moed, H.F., 2013. "Opinion paper: thoughts and facts on bibliometric indicators," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/400778, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.