European Union: no protectionist surprises so far
AbstractThis paper evaluates the European Union’s trade policy during the recent global recession with a special focus on AD (AD) protection. Our findings suggest that the EU continues on pre-crisis policy trends. We fail to find clear signs of a major trade policy change since the outbreak of the crisis. Pre-policy trends in AD policy include an increase in product coverage, a small decrease in target country coverage, an increase in industry coverage, a focus on China as a target, an increasing coverage of consumer goods and more differentiated goods. Findings suggest that the EU is more likely to impose protection against countries and country-industries that are similar in their product mix. Country-product combinations subject to a preferential tariff are also more likely to be targeted. The patterns we reveal do not appear to be driven by a few outlying countries but are also similar when considering individual EU member states.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/333779.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cadot, Olivier & de Melo, Jaime & Tumurchudur, Bolormaa, 2007. "Anti-Dumping Sunset Reviews: The Uneven Reach of WTO Disciplines," CEPR Discussion Papers 6502, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Owen Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2008.
"Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?,"
2008-09, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Michael O. Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2011. "Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 601-619, November.
- Michael Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2008. "Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?," Working Papers ECARES 2008_024, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michael Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2011. "Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136352, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Merle Holden & Daniela Casale, 2002. "Endogenous Protection In A Trade Liberalizing Economy: The Case Of South Africa," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 479-489, October.
- Bown, Chad P. & Mavroidis, Petros C., 2013. "Introduction," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(02), pages 133-137, April.
- Doreen Bekker, 2006. "The Strategic Use Of Anti-Dumping In International Trade," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(3), pages 501-521, 09.
- Merle Holden, 2002. "Antidumping: A Reaction To Trade Liberalisation Or Anti-Competitive?," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 70(5), pages 912-931, 06.
- Bown, Chad P. & Tovar, Patricia, 2011. "Trade liberalization, antidumping, and safeguards: Evidence from India's tariff reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 115-125, September.
- Patricia, Tovar, 2011. "India: The use of temporary trade barriers," MPRA Paper 41054, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lawrence Edwards, 2005. "Has South Africa Liberalised Its Trade?," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 73(4), pages 754-775, December.
- Bown, Chad P. & Crowley, Meredith A., 2013.
"Import protection, business cycles, and exchange rates: Evidence from the Great Recession,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 50-64.
- Bown, Chad P. & Crowley, Meredith A., 2012. "Import protection, business cycles, and exchange rates : evidence from the great recession," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6038, The World Bank.
- Chad Bown & Meredith Crowley, 2011. "Import protection, business cycles, and exchange rates: evidence from the Great Recession," Working Paper Series WP-2011-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Christian Viegelahn, 2012.
"Indian Antidumping Measures against China: Evidence from Monthly Trade Data,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
32212, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Hylke VANDENBUSSCHE & Christian VIEGELAHN, 2012. "Indian Antidumping Measures against China: Evidence from Monthly Trade Data," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2012025, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Viegelahn, Christian, 2012. "Indian antidumping measures against China: evidence from monthly trade data," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/378209, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Bown, Chad P., 2013. "Trade policy flexibilities and Turkey : tariffs, antidumping, safeguards, and WTO dispute settlement," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6322, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.