Exporting, capital investment and financial constraints
AbstractMany firms cite financial constraints as some of the most important impediments to their investment and growth. Using a unique data set from the Czech Republic this paper investigates the importance of financing constraints in the context of exporters. It finds that exporters are less financially constrained than non-exporters. However, after carefully correcting for possible endogeneity and selection issues, the evidence points to less constrained firms self-selecting into exporting rather than exporting alleviating firms' financial constraints. The analysis suggests that easing firms' credit constraints may play an important role in facilitating exporting and that welldeveloped financial markets that would decrease firms' cost of external finance may be needed in order to benefit from selling in foreign markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/283010.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Other versions of this item:
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints," LICOS Discussion Papers 25209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2009-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Armando Silva, 2011.
"Financial Constraints and Exports: Evidence from Portuguese Manufacturing Firms,"
International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR),
Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 4(3), pages 7-19, December.
- Armando Silva, 2011. "Financial constraints and exports: evidence from Portuguese manufacturing firms," FEP Working Papers 402, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Filipe SIlva & Carlos Carreira, 2011.
"Financial constraints and exports: An analysis of Portuguese firms during the European monetary integration,"
GEMF Working Papers
2011-13, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2011. "Financial Constraints and Exports: An Analysis of Portuguese Firms During the European Monetary Integration," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 34, pages 35-56, December.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2011. "Financial constraints, exports and monetary integration - Financial constraints and exports: An analysis of Portuguese firms during the European monetary integration," GEE Papers 0039, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Jul 2011.
- Askenazy, Ph. & Caldera, A. & Gaulier, G. & Irac, D., 2011.
"Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm-Level Evidence from France,"
328, Banque de France.
- Askenazy, Philippe & Caldera, Aida & Gaulier, Guillaume & Irac, Delphine, 2011. "Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm Level Evidence from France," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1112, CEPREMAP.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00677343 is not listed on IDEAS
- Forlani, Emanuele, 2010. "Liquidity constraints and firm's export activity," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/387050, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"Credit constraints and exports: Evidence for German manufacturing enterprises,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
251, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2012. "Credit constraints and exports: Evidence for German manufacturing enterprises," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 286, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Emanuele Forlani, 2010. "Liquidity Constraints and Firm’s Export Activity," Development Working Papers 291, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 30 Apr 2010.
- Pauline Bourgeon & Jean-Charles Bricongne & Guillaume Gaulier, 2012.
"Financing time to trade : Evidence from French firms,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Pauline Bourgeon & Jean-Charles Bricongne & Guillaume Gaulier, 2012. "Financing Time to Trade: Evidence from French firms," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12016, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Saeed Abubakr & Franco Esposito, 2012. "Bank concentration and financial constraints on firm investment in UK," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 11-25, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.