Robust forecasting of dynamic conditional correlation GARCH models
AbstractLarge once–off events cause large changes in prices but may not affect volatility and correlation dynamics as much as smaller events. Standard volatility models may deliver biased covariance forecasts in this case. We propose a multivariate volatility forecasting model that is accurate in the presence of large once–off events. The model is an extension of the dynamic conditional correlation model (DCC) model. Compared to the DCC model, our method produces more precise out–of–sample covariance forecasts and, when used in portfolio allocation, it leads to portfolios with similar return characteristics but lower turnover and hence higher profits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/282527.
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Other versions of this item:
- Boudt, Kris & Daníelsson, Jón & Laurent, Sébastien, 2013. "Robust forecasting of dynamic conditional correlation GARCH models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 244-257.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ewa Ratuszny, 2013. "Robust Estimation in VaR Modelling - Univariate Approaches using Bounded Innovation Propagation and Regression Quantiles Methodology," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 5(1), pages 35-63, March.
- Christophe Hurlin & Sebastien Laurent & Rogier Quaedvlieg & Stephan Smeekes, 2013. "Risk Measure Inference," Working Papers halshs-00877279, HAL.
- Francisco Blasques, 2013. "Stationarity and Ergodicity Regions for Score Driven Dynamic Correlation Model," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-097/IV, Tinbergen Institute.
- Lucas, André & Schwaab, Bernd & Zhang, Xin, 2013. "Conditional euro area sovereign default risk," Working Paper Series 269, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.