An accurate analytical approximation for the price of a European-style arithmetic Asian option
AbstractFor discrete arithmetic Asian options the payoff depends on the price average of the underlying asset. Due to the dependence structure between the prices of the underlying asset, no simple exact pricing formula exists, not even in a Black-Scholes setting. In the recent literature, several approximations and bounds for the price of this type of option are proposed. One of these approximations consists of replacing the distribution of the stochastic price average by an ad hoc distribution (e.g. Lognormal or Inverse Gaussian) with the same first and second moment. In this paper we use a different approach and combine a lower and upper bound into a new analytical approximation. This approximation can be calculated efficiently, turns out to be very accurate and moreover, it has the correct first and second moment. Since the approximation is analytical, we can also calculate the corresponding hedging Greeks and construct a replicating strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/224539.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Options; Dependence; Structure; Prices; Hedging; Strategy;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michèle Vanmaele & Griselda Deelstra & Jan Liinev, 2004. "Approximation of stop-loss premiums involving sums of lognormals by conditioning on two variables," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7604, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hoedemakers, Tom, 2005. "Moderne reserveringstechnieken voor het verzekeringswezen," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:1979/93, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Griselda Deelstra & Alexandre Petkovic & Michèle Vanmaele, 2008. "Pricing and Hedging Asian Basket Spread Options," Working Papers ECARES 2008_004, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Georges Dionne & Geneviève Gauthier & Nadia Ouertani & Nabil Tahani, 2006. "Heterogeneous Basket Options Pricing Using Analytical Approximations," Cahiers de recherche 0605, CIRPEE.
- Vanmaele, Michele & Deelstra, Griselda & Liinev, Jan, 2004. "Approximation of stop-loss premiums involving sums of lognormals by conditioning on two variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 343-367, October.
- Hoedemakers, Tom & Darkiewicz, Grzegorz & Goovaerts, Marc, 2005. "On the distribution of life annuities with stochastic interest rates," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/122732, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.