Evidence on (the lack of) audit-quality differentiation in the private client segment of the Belgian audit market?
AbstractAuditor size is used as audit-quality proxy. Prior evidence on audit-quality differentiation between big 6 and non-big 6 auditors in the private client segment of the Belgian audit market is mixed. In this paper we investigate whether these mixed results tem from the inability of the dichotomous Big6/non-Big6 variable to capture auditor-size differences in a less concentrated audit market. To that end we examine whether alternative continuous measures of audit-firm size (i.e. auditor market hare, number of audit-firm clients, number of partners in the audit firm, total assets and operating profit of the audit firm) have a constraining impact on earnings management in a large sample of privately held Belgian companies (n = 1302). Overall, we do not find evidence that is supportive of quality differentiation in the private client segment of the Belgian audit market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/224445.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Other versions of this item:
- Heidi Vander Bauwhede & Marleen Willekens, 2004. "Evidence on (the lack of) audit-quality differentiation in the private client segment of the belgian audit market," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 501-522.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Azhaar Lajmi & Marjène Gana, 2011. "Structure de Propriété et Qualité de l'Audit Externe : Cas des Entreprises Belges Cotées," Post-Print hal-00650542, HAL.
- Tendeloo, Brenda van & Vanstraelen, Ann, 2008. "Earnings management and audit quality in Europe: evidence from the private client segment market," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23114, Maastricht University.
- Arnedo, Laura & Lizarraga, Fermin & Sanchez, Santiago, 2007. "Does public/private status affect the level of earnings management in code-law contexts outside the United States? A study based on the Spanish case," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 305-328.
- S. Verbruggen & J. Christiaens & A. Reheul & T. Van Caneghem, 2011. "Audit pricing in a reformed nonprofit market," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/764, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Janssen, Boudewijn & Vandenbussche, Hylke & Crabbé, Karen, 2005.
"Corporate tax savings when hiring a big 4 auditor: empirical evidence for Belgium,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/383277, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Janssen, Jos Boudewijn & Vandenbussche, Hylke & Crabbé, Karen, 2005. "Corporate tax savings when hiring a Big 4 auditor: Empirical evidence for Belgium," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/122712, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Verbruggen, Sandra & Christiaens, Johan & Reheul, Anne-Mie & Van Caneghem, Tom, 2011. "Audit pricing in a reformed nonprofit market," Working Papers 2011/29, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Reheul, Anne-Mie & Van Caneghem, Tom & Verbruggen, Sandra, 2011. "Auditor choice in the Belgian nonprofit sector: a behavioral perspective," Working Papers 2011/36, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Maijoor, Steven J. & Vanstraelen, Ann, 2006. "Earnings management within Europe: the effects of member state audit environment, audit firm quality and international capital markets," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18430, Maastricht University.
- Tom Van Caneghem, 2010. "Audit pricing and the Big4 fee premium: evidence from Belgium," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 122-139, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.