The evolution of markets under entry and standards regulation - the case of global mobile telecommunication
AbstractWe analyze the effects of government policies on the evolution of an industry, the global mobile telecommunications market. We find a relatively slow diffusion convergence between countries. This follows partly from regulatory delay in issuing first licenses, yet persisting initial cross-country differences also contribute to a lack of convergence. Introducing competition has a strong immediate impact on diffusion, but a weak impact afterwards; sequential entry is preceded by pre-emptive behavior by incumbents. This is consistent with the presence of consumer switching costs. Setting a single technological standard accelerates the diffusion of analogue technologies considerably; for digital technologies it is too early to draw reliable conclusions, yet the available evidence suggests that setting single standards has similar beneficial effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/223770.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Competition; Costs; Effects; Industry; Convergence;
Other versions of this item:
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "The evolution of markets under entry and standards regulation -- the case of global mobile telecommunications," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1189-1212, July.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2000. "The Evolution of Markets Under Entry and Standards Regulation - The Case of Global Mobile Telecommunications," CEPR Discussion Papers 2440, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1997. "Valuing the Effect of Regulation on New Services in Telecommunications," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1997 Micr), pages 1-54.
- Valletti, Tommaso M & Cave, Martin, 1998. "Competition in UK mobile communications," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 109-131, March.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1999.
"Models of Technology Diffusion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2146, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.