Exchange rates and asset prices: heterogeneous agents at work
AbstractThis paper studies the relationship between exchange rates and asset prices. It takes the novel approach of modeling both the markets in a framework of heterogeneous agents. Investors maximize their profits from the international equity markets by solving a Mean-Variance problem. As a result, agents choose between different combinations of rules in the home and foreign equity market as well as in the foreign exchange market. Given the incomplete information setting, agents check the past profitability of their rules and switch behavior in the effort to maximize their profits. Due to the heuristics embedded within the model, this simple frame-work alone is able to create a complex, time-varying dynamics. This dynamics is analyzed for different parameters and conditions. Finally the model is brought to the data, to check the fitness of the predictions on the real world markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/219258.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 2004. "MCMC method for Markov mixture simultaneous-equation models: a note," Working Paper 2004-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Paul De Grauwe & Pablo Rovira Kaltwasser, 2007. "Modeling Optimism and Pessimism in the Foreign Exchange Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 1962, CESifo Group Munich.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Patricia Alvarez-Plata & Mechthild Schrooten, 2003.
"The Argentinean Currency Crisis: A Markov-Switching Model Estimation,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
348, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Patricia Alvarez-Plata & Mechthild Schrooten, 2006. "The Argentinean Currency Crisis: A Markov-Switching Model Estimation," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(1), pages 79-91.
- Robert Kollmann, 2001.
"Explaining international comovements of output and asset returns: the role of money and nominal rigidities,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7632, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kollmann, Robert, 2001. "Explaining international comovements of output and asset returns: The role of money and nominal rigidities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1547-1583, October.
- Sheng-Yung Yang & Shuh-Chyi Doong, 2004. "Price and Volatility Spillovers between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Empirical Evidence from the G-7 Countries," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 3(2), pages 139-153, August.
- Martin D.D. Evans & Richard K. Lyons, 1999.
"Order Flow and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
7317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, Martin D. & Lyons, Richard K., 1999. "Order Flow and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt0dh1c16w, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Martin D. D. Evans and Richard K. Lyons., 1999. "Order Flow and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-288, University of California at Berkeley.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2003.
"Real-Time Price Discovery in Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
04-028, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 28 Jun 2004.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Vega, Clara, 2004. "Real-time price discovery in stock, bond and foreign exchange markets," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2005. "Real-Time Price Discovery in Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets," NBER Working Papers 11312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bala Ramasamy & Matthew C.H. Yeung, 2005. "The Causality Between Stock Returns And Exchange Rates: Revisited," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 162-169, 06.
- Edoardo Otranto & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2001.
"A Nonparametric Bayesian Approach to Detect the Number of Regimes in Markov Switching Models,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2001_04, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Edoardo Otranto & Giampiero Gallo, 2002. "A Nonparametric Bayesian Approach To Detect The Number Of Regimes In Markov Switching Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 477-496.
- Michael B. Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2007.
"Solving for Country Portfolios in Open Economy Macro Models,"
162007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Devereux, Michael B & Sutherland, Alan, 2006. "Solving for Country Portfolios in Open Economy Macro Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 5966, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael B. Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2007. "Solving for Country Portfolios in Open Economy Macro Models," IMF Working Papers 07/284, International Monetary Fund.
- Jes�s Mu�oz & P. Nicholas Snowden, 2006. "Floating without flotations-the exchange rate and the Mexican stock market: 1995-2001," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 299-318.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.