Is ELIE a wasteful minimum income scheme?
AbstractELIE can be interpreted as a minimum income scheme, financed by lump-sum taxes. It may induce social waste as individuals with a low taste for working may opt for voluntary unemployment. We simulate the magnitude of this social waste with microdata for Belgium and compare ELIE with a firstbest scheme and a second-best scheme (based on a linear income tax), implementing the same minimum income. As expected, the social waste induced by ELIE is intermediate between the social waste induced by the first- and second-best schemes. Assumptions about the preferences of the voluntarily unemployed play a crucial role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/165676.
Date of creation: Feb 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blundell, Richard & Macurdy, Thomas, 1999.
"Labor supply: A review of alternative approaches,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1559-1695
- Dasgupta, Partha & Hammond, Peter, 1980. "Fully progressive taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 141-154, April.
- Atkinson, A. B., 1990. "Public economics and the economic public," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 225-248, May.
- Jean-Sébastien Gharbi & Yves Meinard, 2012. "Sur le sens du non welfarisme dans le modèle ELIE de redistribution des revenus de Kolm," AMSE Working Papers 1237, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Jean-Sébastien Gharbi & Yves Meinard, 2012. "Sur le Sens du Non Welfarisme dans le Modèle ELIE de Redistribution des Revenus de Kolm," Working Papers halshs-00793658, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.