Publication and patent behaviour of academic researchers: conflicting, reinforcing or merely co-existing?
AbstractIncreasing entrepreneurial activity within academia has raised concerns that the amount of publications added to the scientific commons might become reduced or that academic research would become directed exclusively towards the application-oriented needs of industry. In the case of academic inventions, the potential conflict between public and private oriented considerations seems most salient. With this contribution, we examine whether the publication behaviour of academic inventors (at K.U.Leuven) differs from their colleagues (non-inventors) working within similar fields of research. Our analysis reveals that inventors publish significantly more. Moreover, no empirical evidence was found for the 'skewing problem'. These findings not only suggest the co-existence of both activities; they may actually reinforce one another.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/122796.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Academic investors; Field; Industry; Knowledge; Knowlegde interactions; Research; University-industry relations; Working;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Looy, Bart & Callaert, Julie & Debackere, Koenraad & Verbeek, Arnold, 2003. "Patent related indicators for assessing knowledge-generating institutions: towards a contextualised approach," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/122581, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Lewis M. Branscomb & Fumio Kodama & Richard Florida (ed.), 1999. "Industrializing Knowledge: University-Industry Linkages in Japan and the United States," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262024659, June.
- Aldo Geuna & Lionel Nesta, 2003. "University Patenting and its Effects on Academic Research," SPRU Working Paper Series 99, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1995. "Recent Evolutionary Theorizing about Economic Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 48-90, March.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2000. "The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and "Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of university-industry-government relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 109-123, February.
- Owen-Smith, Jason, 2003. "From separate systems to a hybrid order: accumulative advantage across public and private science at Research One universities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1081-1104, June.
- Richard R. Nelson, 2003.
"The Market Economy, and the Scientific Commons,"
LEM Papers Series
2003/24, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Freeman, Chris, 1994. "The Economics of Technical Change," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(5), pages 463-514, October.
- Godin, Benoit, 1996. "Research and the practice of publication in industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 587-606, June.
- Rosenberg, Nathan & Nelson, Richard R., 1994. "American universities and technical advance in industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 323-348, May.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo, 2002. "Scientific, business and political networks in academia," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 187-198, June.
- Carayol, Nicolas, 2003. "Objectives, agreements and matching in science-industry collaborations: reassembling the pieces of the puzzle," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 887-908, June.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Sabrina Saragossi, 2003.
"What patent data reveals about universities: the case of Belgium,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6211, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Saragossi, Sarina & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2003. " What Patent Data Reveal about Universities: The Case of Belgium," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 47-51, January.
- Van Looy, Bart, et al, 2003. " Patent Related Indicators for Assessing Knowledge-Generating Institutions: Towards a Contextualised Approach," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 53-61, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.