Orthogonalized regressors and spurious precision
AbstractThe exposure of a stock's return to exchange-rate changes is conventionally estimated by regression. Often, the market return is included as an additional regressor. By first orthogonalizing the market return on the exchange rate one seems to have the best of both worlds: the market factor cannot subsume part of the exposure present in a stock's return, and these of the estimate beats both the simple -and the multiple- regression SE's. This last effect is illusory: since the simple and the pseudo-multiple regression always produce the same exposure estimate, given the sample, their precision must be identical too. Technically, the source of the problem is that the uncertainty about the market's exposure estimate is left out of the calculated SE. In published work, the calculated error variances should be corrected upward by 20 to 100 percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in its series Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven with number urn:hdl:123456789/120985.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kuleuven.be
Currency; Exchange; Exposure; Market; Market model; Multiple regression; Precision; Regression; Uncertainty; Variance; Work;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arturo Bris & Yrj� Koskinen & Vicente Pons, 2004.
"Corporate Financial Policies and Performance around Currency Crises,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 749-796, October.
- Arturo Bris & Yrjo Koskinen & Vicente Pons-Sanz, 2001. "Corporate Financial Policies and Performance Around Currency Crises," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2563, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Oct 2008.
- Arturo Bris & Yrjo Juhani Koskinen & Vicente Pascual Pons-Sanz, 2001. "Corporate Financial Policies and Performance Around Currency Crises," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm238, Yale School of Management.
- Bris, Arturo & Koskinen, Yrjö & Pons, Vicente, 2001. "Corporate Financial Policies and Performance Around Currency Crises," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 467, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 Nov 2001.
- Horst Entorf & Jochen Moebert & Katja Sonderhof, 2011.
"The Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure of Nations,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 339-353, April.
- Entorf, Horst & Möbert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2006. "The Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure of Nations," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 36755, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Entorf, Horst & Möbert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2006. "The Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure of Nations," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute of Economics (VWL) 36755, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Entorf, Horst & Moebert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2007. "The foreign exchange rate rate exposure of nations," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-005, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1983. " International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 925-84, June.
- Martin Glaum & Marko Brunner & Holger Himmel, 2000. "The DAX and the Dollar: The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure of German Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 715-724, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carl Demeyere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.