Copulas and bivariate Risk measures : an application to hedge funds
AbstractWith hedgefunds, managers develop risk management models that mainly aim to play on the effect of de correlation.In order to achieve this goal,companies use the correlation coefficient as an indicator for measuring dependencies existing between(i)the various hedge funds strategies and share index returns and(ii)hedge funds strategies against each other.Otherwise, copulas are a statistic tool to model the dependence in a realistic and less restrictive way,taking better account of the stylized facts in ﬁnance.This paper is a practical implementation of the copulas theory to model dependence between differen the hedgefund strategies and share index returns and between these strategies in relation to each other on a "normal" period and a period during which the market trend is downward. Our approach based on copulas allows us to determine the bivariate VaR level curves and to study extremal dependence between hedgefunds strategies and share index returns through the use of some tail dependence measures which can be made into useful portfolio management tools.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Paris-Dauphine in its series Open Access publications from Université Paris-Dauphine with number urn:hdl:123456789/3346.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html
share index; Hedge fund strategies; dependence; tail dependence; copula; bivariate Value at Risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klugman, Stuart A. & Parsa, Rahul, 1999. "Fitting bivariate loss distributions with copulas," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 139-148, March.
- Christian Genest & Jean-François Quessy & Bruno Rémillard, 2006. "Goodness-of-fit Procedures for Copula Models Based on the Probability Integral Transformation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 337-366.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendin-Malegdé Patrick Kaboré).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.