Strategic groups based on marginal rates : an application to the Spanish banking industry
AbstractThis paper uses Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) to identify strategic groups (SGs) in the Spanish banking industry. The concept of SG relies on the fact that firms grouped together value inputs and outputs in the same way. As such, they take identical direction when, due to external influences, changes are required. Weights obtained from DEA are extremely useful in the valuation of inputs and outputs. Specifically, by comparing DEA weights pair-wise, i.e. quantifying the variables’ marginal rates (MR), we can obtain a very good representation of the existent trade-off and the relative importance of the two variables. The paper uses MRs obtained through DEA models and, simultaneously, proposes feasible ways to overcome two usual problems with DEA virtual weights, namely: (1) the multiplicity of weights for efficient DMUs; and (2) the inexistence of dual variables for inefficient DMUs. From the empirical point of view, once the MRs are determined, the second stage is to perform Cluster Analysis. We apply Cluster Analysis in two ways: (1) on the basis of the MRs; and (2) following the traditional application by running Cluster Analysis with the original variables. The results obtained show the advantages of using MRs instead of the standard application of Cluster Analysis. Summing up, the concept of SG is reinforced if we use refined methods to determine the existence of SGs. The results of the application of DEA models to observe the presence of SG in the Spanish banking industry offer interesting views on it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/7419.
Length: 316 p.
Date of creation: Apr 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in European Journal of Operational Research (2006-04) v.v. 170, p.293-314
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA); DEA weights; Banking; Strategic groups; Marginal rates;
Other versions of this item:
- Prior, Diego & Surroca, Jordi, 2006. "Strategic groups based on marginal rates: An application to the Spanish banking industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 293-314, April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pastor, JoseManuel & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 1997.
"Efficiency analysis in banking firms: An international comparison,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 395-407, April.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1995. "Efficiency Analysis In Banking Firms: An International Comparison," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Porter, Michael E, 1979. "The Structure within Industries and Companies' Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 214-27, May.
- Karel O. Cool & Dan Schendel, 1987. "Strategic Group Formation and Performance: The Case of the U.S. Pharmaceutical Industry, 1963--1982," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(9), pages 1102-1124, September.
- Grifell-Tatje, E. & Lovell, C. A. K., 1997. "The sources of productivity change in Spanish banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 364-380, April.
- W. Cooper & Dr. Park & Professor Ciurana, 2000. "Marginal Rates and Elasticities of Substitution with Additive Models in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 105-123, March.
- Canals, Jordi, 1994. "Competitive Strategies in European Banking," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773504.
- Day, Diana L. & Lewin, Arie Y. & Li, Hongyu, 1995. "Strategic leaders or strategic groups: A longitudinal data envelopment analysis of the U.S. brewing industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 619-638, February.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Caves, R E & Porter, M E, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-61, May.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Ohnishi, Kenji & Kinase, Youichi, 1999. "A benchmark approach for baseball evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 429-448, June.
- Prior, Diego, 2003. "Long- and short-run non-parametric cost frontier efficiency: An application to Spanish savings banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 655-671, April.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Zhu, Haiyan & Edelstein, Barak, 2012. "Identifying managerial groups in a large Canadian bank branch network with a DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(1), pages 178-187.
- Epure, Mircea & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego, 2011. "Bank productivity and performance groups: A decomposition approach based upon the Luenberger productivity indicator," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 630-641, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.