A simplified model for social welfare analysis : an application to Spain, 1973-74 to 1980-81
AbstractMost of the literature on income distribution has concentrated on inequality. In this paper we introduce a concern for efficiency in a social welfare model. We propose a simple but useful specification which combines three features: (i) the selection of measurement instruments in the relative and the absolute case on the grounds of their properties for applied work; (ii) a procedure to make welfare comparisons across households with different needs, in a model in which equivalence scales depend only on house-hold size; and (iii) the use of household specific statistical price indices to make intertemporal comparisons in real terms. The methodology is applied to the study of the role of prices and demographic effects in the evolution of the standard of living in Spain from 1973–74 to 1980–81.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/4761.
Length: 143 p.
Date of creation: Mar 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Income and Wealth (1998-03) v.v.44, p.123-141
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Bienestar social; Estado del bienestar; España;
Other versions of this item:
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier, 1998. "A Simplified Model for Social Welfare Analysis: An Application to Spain, 1973-74 to 1980-81," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 123-41, March.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alvaredo, Facundo & Saez, Emmanuel, 2006.
"Income and Wealth Concentration in Spain in a Historical and Fiscal Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5836, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Facundo Alvaredo & Emmanuel Saez, 2007. "Income and wealth concentration in Spain in a historical and fiscal perspective," PSE Working Papers halshs-00587714, HAL.
- Villarreal, Hector J. & Mehta, Aashish, 2005. "Inequality and Heterogeneous Returns to Education in Mexico (1992-2002)," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 34, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Garner, Thesia & Sastre, Mercedes, 2003. "The influence of demographics and household specific price indices on expenditure based inequality and welfare : a comparison of Spain and the United States," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4748, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.