The measurement of structural and exchange income mobility
AbstractChakravarty, Dutta and Weymark (1985) present operational axioms for an ethical index of income mobility that are best suited for a two period world. This paper suggests a decomposition of this index into two terms: (i) an index of structural or snapshot mobility, which captures the welfare effect of differences in the inequality of the cross-section income distributions; and (ii) an index of exchange or rerankings mobility, which captures the welfare impact of rank reversals between the first- and the second-period income distributions. Income inequality reductions and rank reversals are always welfare enhancing. The properties of all the income mobility concepts introduced in the paper do not require any new value judgements beyond the traditional ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/4745.
Length: 230 p.
Date of creation: Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The Journal of Economic Inequality (2005-02) v.v. 2, p.219-228
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Distributional change; Exchange and structural mobility; Income mobility;
Other versions of this item:
- Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2004. "The measurement of structural and exchange income mobility," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 219-228, September.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karcher, T. & Moyes, P. & Trannoy, Y., 1993. "The Stochastic Dominance Ordering of Income Distributions of Over Time. I," Papers 9304, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Moulin, Herve, 1994. "Social choice," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 31, pages 1091-1125 Elsevier.
- Berrebi, Z. M. & Silber, Jacques, 1983. "On an absolute measure of distributional change," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 139-146, July.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F., 1993. "On the Hart measure of income mobility," ISER Working Paper Series 20, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Fields, Gary S & Ok, Efe A, 1999. "Measuring Movement of Incomes," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(264), pages 455-71, November.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Paul Allanson, 2008.
"On the characterisation and measurement of the welfare effects of income mobility from an ex-ante perspective,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
219, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Allanson, Paul, 2008. "On the characterisation and measurement of the welfare effects of income mobility from an ex-ante perspective," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-48, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Ayala, Luis & Sastre, Mercedes, 2002. "What determines income mobility differences across the European Union?," ISER Working Paper Series 2002-27, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Frank A. Cowell & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2011.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2009. "Measurement of income mobility: a re-examination," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 629-645, November.
- John Creedy & Elin Halvorsen & Thor O. Thoresen, 2011.
"Inequality Comparisons in a Multi-Period Framework: The Role of Alternative Welfare Metrics,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
1127, The University of Melbourne.
- Creedy, John & Halvorsen, Elin & Thoresen, Thor, 2012. "Inequality Comparisons in a Multi-Period Framework: The Role of Alternative Welfare Metrics," Working Paper Series 2434, Victoria University of Wellington, Chair in Public Finance.
- Gary Fields, 2010. "Does income mobility equalize longer-term incomes? New measures of an old concept," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 409-427, December.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2003.
"What Lies Behind Income Mobility? Reranking and Distributional Change in Belgium, Western Germany and the USA,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2003-03, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Philippe Van Kerm, 2004. "What Lies Behind Income Mobility? Reranking and Distributional Change in Belgium, Western Germany and the USA," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(281), pages 223-239, 05.
- Luis Ayala & Mercedes Sastre, 2008. "The structure of income mobility: empirical evidence from five UE countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 451-473, November.
- C. Schluter & D. Van De Gaer, 2008. "Structural Mobility, Exchange Mobility and Subgroup Consistent Mobility Measurement – US–German Mobility Measurements Revisited," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 08/543, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Rolf Aaberge & Magne Mogstad, 2009.
"On the Measurement of Long-Term Income Inequality and Income Mobility,"
ICER Working Papers
09-2009, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Rolf Aaberge & Magne Mogstad, 2010. "On the measurement of long-term income inequality and income mobility," Working Papers 156, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Rolf Aaberge & Magne Mogstad, 2010. "On the measurement of long-term income inequality and income mobility," Discussion Papers 622, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "On the Measurement of Long-Term Income Inequality and Income Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 4699, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Valentino Dardanoni & Marcello D’Agostino, 2007.
"The Measurement of Rank Mobility,"
80, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jacques Silber & Michal Weber, 2005. "Gini's mean difference and the measurement of absolute mobility," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 471-492.
- Sastre, Mercedes & Ayala, Luis, 2002.
"Europe vs. the United States: is there a trade-off between mobility and inequality?,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2002-26, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Ayala, L. & Sastre, M., 2002. "Europe vs. The United States: Is There a Trade-Off Between Mobility and Inequality?," European Economy Group Working Papers 19, European Economy Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.