Explaining the transitions out of unemployment in Spain : the effect of unemployment insurance
AbstractA multinomial logit model and matched files from the Spanish Active Population Survey (EPA) are used to study transitions out of unemployment among men aged 20-59. In addition to demographic characteristics, other explanatory variables included in the regressions pertain to previous job characteristics and the spell of unemployment. In this article, special attention is paid to the impact of unemployment insurance benefits on the re-employment probability. Consistent with previous work, it is found that receipt of unemployment insurance is associated with lower probabilities of re-employment and of withdrawal from the labour force. More importantly, a differential effect of benefit receipt is obtained when comparing time periods before and after 1992. Indeed, in April of that year the labour authority made eligibility requirements for unemployment insurance more restrictive and curtailed benefit amounts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/4583.
Length: 195 p.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Applied Economics (1999) v.v. 31, p.183-193
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Desempleo; España; Métodos estadísticos;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfonso Alba-Ramirez & Richard B. Freeman, 1990. "Jobfinding and Wages when Longrun Unemployment is Really Long: The Case of Spain," NBER Working Papers 3409, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Narendranathan, W & Stewart, Mark B, 1993. "How Does the Benefit Effect Vary as Unemployment Spells Lengthen?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 361-81, Oct.-Dec..
- Güell, Maia, 2003.
"Fixed-Term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
791, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Maia Güell, 2003. "Fixed-term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment," Working Papers 105, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Maia Güell, 2001. "Fixed-Term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0505, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Maia Güell, 2002. "Fixed-term contracts and the duration distribution of unemployment," Economics Working Papers 602, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2003.
- Güell, Maia, 2002. "Fixed-Term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3264, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos, 2000.
"Re-employment probabilities for Spanish men: what role does the unemployment benefit system play?,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2000-17, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Carlos García-Serrano, 2000. "Re-Employment Probabilities for Spanish Men: What Role Does the Unemployment Benefit System Play?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 216, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Maia Güell & Luojia Hu, 2003.
"Estimating the probability of leaving unemployment using uncompleted spells from repeated cross-section data,"
Economics Working Papers
688, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Guell, Maia & Hu, Luojia, 2006. "Estimating the probability of leaving unemployment using uncompleted spells from repeated cross-section data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 307-341, July.
- Güell, Maia & Hu, Luojia, 2004. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment Using Uncompleted Spells from Repeated Cross-Section Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1079, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Güell, Maia & Hu, Luojia, 2003. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment Using Uncompleted Spells from Repeated Cross-Section Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3957, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maia Güell & Luojia Hu, 2003. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment using Uncompleted Spells from Repeated Cross-Section Data," Working Papers 41, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew & Matthias Vorell, 2009. "Killing them with Kindness: Negative Distributional Externalities of Increasing UI Benefits," Ruhr Economic Papers 0121, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Jacobo De UNA-ALvarez & M. Soledad Otero-GirALdez & Gema ALvarez-Llorente, 2003. "Estimation under length-bias and right-censoring: An application to unemployment duration analysis for married women," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 283-291.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.