Stability in one-sided matching markets
AbstractThe stable roommates problem may be unsolvable for sorne instances, therefore we study a relaxation, when it is allowed to form groups of any size (the stable partition problem). Two extensions of preferences over individuals to preferences over sets are suggested. For the first one, derived from the most prefered member of a set, it is shown that a stable partition always existis if the original preferences are strict and a simple algorithm for its computation is derived. This algorithm turns out to be strategy proof. The second extension, based on the least prefered member of a set, produces solutions very similar to those for the stable roornmates problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/4158.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Matching markets; Stable partition; Digraphs; Algorithms;
Other versions of this item:
- Cechlárová, Katarína & Romero-Medina, Antonio, 2001. "Stability in One-Sided Matching Markets," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5605, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy-Making and Implementation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José Alcalde, 1994.
"Exchange-proofness or divorce-proofness? Stability in one-sided matching markets,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 275-287, December.
- José Alcalde, 1995. "Exchange-Proofness or Divorce-Proofness? Stability in One-Sided Matching Markets," Working Papers. Serie AD 1995-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Shapley, Lloyd & Scarf, Herbert, 1974. "On cores and indivisibility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-37, March.
- Bird, Charles G., 1984. "Group incentive compatibility in a market with indivisible goods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 309-313.
- José Alcalde & Pablo Revilla, 2003.
"Researching with Whom? Stability and Manipulation,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2003/35, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Antonio Romero-Medina, 2001.
"`Sex-Equal' Stable Matchings,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 197-212, May.
- Romero-Medina, Antonio, 2001. "Sex-Equal Stable Matching," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5606, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- José Alcalde & Pablo Revilla, 2001. "Tops Responsiveness, Strategy-Proofness And Coalition Formation Problems," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.