Rational asset pricing bubbles
AbstractThis paper provides a fairly systematic study of general economic conditions under which rational asset pricing bubbles may arise in an intertemporal competitive equilibrium framework. Our main results are concerned with non-existence of asset pricing bubbles in those economies. These results imply that the conditions under which bubbles are possible inc1uding sorne well-known examples of monetary equilibria-are relatively fragile.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/3913.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Asset pricing bubbles; Rational expectations; Sequentially incomplete markets; Money;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, .
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1992.
"Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets,"
DELTA Working Papers
92-26, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1992. "Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets," Papers 413a, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1993. "Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets," Papers 9320, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Magill,Michael & Quinzii,Martine, 1992. "Infinite horizon,Incomplete markets," Discussion Paper Serie A 384, University of Bonn, Germany.
- David K. Levine & William Zame, 1996.
"Debt Constraints and Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Economies with Incomplete Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1954, David K. Levine.
- Levine, David K. & Zame, William R., 1996. "Debt constraints and equilibrium in infinite horizon economies with incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 103-131.
- David K. Levine & William R. Zame, 1992. "Debt Constraints and Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Economies with Incomplete Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 666, UCLA Department of Economics.
- David K. Levine & William R. Zame, 1993. "Debt Constraints and Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Economies with Incomplete Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 703, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Maurice Obstfeld, 1992.
"Intrinsic Bubbles: The Case of Stock Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
3091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Diba, Behzad T & Grossman, Herschel I, 1988. "The Theory of Rational Bubbles in Stock Prices," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 746-54, September.
- C. Gilles & S.F. Leroy, 1989.
"Bublles and Charges,"
Carleton Economic Papers
89-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised May 1992.
- Kareken, John & Wallace, Neil, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-22, May.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Michael Woodford, 1992.
"The Optimum Quantity of Money Revisited,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2035, David K. Levine.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1979. "Speculative bubbles, crashes and rational expectations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-389.
- Tirole, Jean, 1982. "On the Possibility of Speculation under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1163-81, September.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.