On the competitive effects of divisionalization
AbstractIn this paper, we assume that firms can create independent divisions which compete in quantities in a homogeneous good market. Assuming identical firms and constant returns to scale, we prove that the strategic interaction of firms yields Perfect Competition if the number of firms is beyond some critical level. Assuming a fixed cost per firm and an upper bound on the maximum number of divisions, we show that when this upper bound tends to infinity and the fixed cost tends to zero, market equilibrium may yield either Perfect Competition or a Natural Oligopoly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/3813.
Length: 82 p.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Other versions of this item:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio, TESORIERE, 2007. "Allocating cost reducing investments over competing divisions," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007021, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Kempf, Alexander & Ruenzi, Stefan, 2004.
"Tournaments in mutual fund families,"
CFR Working Papers
04-02, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Fauli-Oller, Ramon, 1997. "On merger profitability in a Cournot setting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-79, January.
- Bru, Lluís & de Haro, José-Manuel Ordóñez & Faulí-Oller, Ramon, 2001.
"Divisionalization in Vertical Structures,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tsygankova, Marina, 2010. "When is a break-up of Gazprom good for Russia?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 908-917, July.
- Gonzalez-Maestre, Miguel, 2001. "Divisionalization with spatial differentiation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1297-1313, September.
- Marina Tsygankova, 2007. "When is Mighty Gazprom Good for Russia?," Discussion Papers 526, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Miguel González-Maestre, 1993. "Divisionalization In Markets With Hetergeneous Goods," Working Papers. Serie AD 1993-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.