On the persistence of leadership or leapfrogging in international trade
AbstractWhen two countries starting from different quality levels (reflecting different conditions on domestic market demands) open to trade, two possible equilibria arise. In the first, the quality leader maintains its position. In the second, leapfrogging occurs. However, the latter is possible only if the initial quality gap is not too wide. Futher, when the risk dominance criterion is used, only the former equilibrium is selected. These results suggest that initial conditions (such as domestic market size or home demand preferences) are important factors in determining relative competitiveness of firms in international markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/3683.
Length: 826 p.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Other versions of this item:
- Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Cabrales, Antonio, 1997. "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(4), pages 809-24, November.
- Massimo MOTTA & Jean-François THISSE & Antonio CABRALES, 1996. "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9625, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995. "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 1106, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-François, . "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3512, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.