The effects of minimum bargained wages on earnings: Evidence from Spain
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical evaluation of the effects of Spanish sectoral collective bargaining on wages. For this purpose, we use a sample of workers for whom bargained wage rates and earnings are available. Using a variant of the Meyer and Wise approach, we are able to estimate wage gains due to minimum bargained wages and their employment effects. The most relevant conclusion is that there is evidence of a ?sword of justice? effect by unions, but this is limited by non-compliance among unskilled workers and the non-binding nature of bargained wages for skilled workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/3276.
Length: 727 p.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Minimum wages; Collective bargaining; Wage dispersion;
Other versions of this item:
- Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., 1997. "The effects of minimum bargained wages on earnings: Evidence from Spain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 713-721, April.
- Juan J. Dolado & Florentino Felgueroso & Juan F. Jimeno, . "The effects of minimum bargained wages on earnings: Evidence from Spain," Working Papers 97-04, FEDEA.
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert H. Meyer & David A. Wise, 1982.
"The Effects of the Minimum Wage on the Employment and Earnings of Youth,"
NBER Working Papers
0849, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meyer, Robert H & Wise, David A, 1983. "The Effects of the Minimum Wage on the Employment and Earnings of Youth," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(1), pages 66-100, January.
- Robert H. Meyer & David A. Wise, 1981.
"Discontinuous Distributions and Missing Persons: The Minimum Wage and Unemployed Youth,"
NBER Working Papers
0711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meyer, Robert H & Wise, David A, 1983. "Discontinuous Distributions and Missing Persons: The Minimum Wage and Unemployed Youth," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1677-98, November.
- Dolado, Juan José & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., . "Minimum wages, collective bargaining and wage dispersion : the spanish case," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/10496, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- V. Bhaskar & Ted To, 1996.
"Minimum Wages for Ronald McDonald Monopsonies: A Theory of Monopsonistic Competition,"
Labor and Demography
9603001, EconWPA, revised 21 May 1996.
- Bhaskar, V & To, Ted, 1999. "Minimum Wages for Ronald McDonald Monopsonies: A Theory of Monopsonistic Competition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(455), pages 190-203, April.
- Dolado, Juan José & Kramarz, F. & Manning, A. & Machin, S., 1996. "The economic impact of minimum wages in Europe," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3305, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- repec:wuk:andedp:9605 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joaquín Lorences & Victor Fernandez & César Rodríguez, 1995. "Diferencias interterritoriales de salarios y negociación colectiva en España," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 19(2), pages 309-324, May.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Reforma laboral y empleo juvenil: sobre cÃ³mo se pueden empeorar las cosas
by Florentino Felgueroso in Nada Es Gratis on 2010-06-19 11:26:20
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.