The internationalisation process of Spanish banks: a tale of two times
AbstractAttempts to shed light on strategies and international entry modes of financial services firms, providing a framework of the internationalisation process in one specific industry. This is based upon the analysis of four case studies of Spanish banks entering the Latin American markets at two different stages – before and after the 1990s – to see how internationalisation strategies of financial services have evolved over time. Shows that, in accordance with the perceived market risk and the commitment of resources involved, firms may opt to enter a foreign market in a gradual (lineal) process or in a more opportunistic (contingent) way. The foreign direct investment decision vis-à-vis the resources and risks involved in the operation has been evolving through time, industry and country of destination.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in its series Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid with number info:hdl:10016/11651.
Length: 70 p.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The International Journal of Bank Marketing (2001) v.v. 19, p.53-68
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es
Banks; Financial services; Globalization; Market entry; Spain;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-07-13 (Banking)
- NEP-CSE-2011-07-13 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vern Terpstra & Chwo-Ming Yu, 1988. "Determinants of Foreign Investment of U.S. Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Jack, Robert & As-Saber, Sharif & Edwards, Ron & Buckley, Peter, 2008. "The role of service embeddedness in the internationalisation process of manufacturing firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 442-451, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Contact person).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.