Non-Nested Testing in Models Estimated via Generalized Method of Moments
AbstractRivers and Vuong (2002) develop a very general framework for choosing between two competing dynamic models. Within their framework, inference is based on a statistic that compares measures of goodness of fit between the two models. The null hypothesis is that the models have equal measures of goodness of fit; one model is preferred if its goodness of fit is statistically significantly smaller than its competitor. Under the null hypothesis, Rivers and Vuong (2002) show that their test statistic has a standard normal distribution under generic conditions that are argued to allow for a variety of estimation methods including Generalized Method of Moments (GMM). In this paper, we analyze the limiting distribution of Rivers and Vuong's (2002) statistic under the null hypothesis when inference is based on a comparison of GMM minimands evaluated at GMM estimators. It is shown that the limiting behaviour of this statistic depends on whether the models in question are correctly specified, locally misspecified or misspecified. Specifically, it is shown that: (i) if both models are correctly specified or locally misspecified then Rivers and Vuong's (2002) generic conditions are not satisfied, and the limiting distribution of the test statistic is non-standard under the null; (ii) if both models are misspecified then the generic conditions are satisfied, and so the statistic has a standard normal distribution under the null. In the latter case it is shown that the choice of weighting matrices affects the outcome of the test and thus the ranking of the models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by North Carolina State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 011.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision: Mar 2007
Generalized Method of Moments; Non-nested Hypothesis Testing; Model Selection;
Other versions of this item:
- Hall, Alastair R. & Pelletier, Denis, 2011. "Nonnested Testing In Models Estimated Via Generalized Method Of Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 443-456, April.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Kan, Raymond & Robotti, Cesare, 2013.
"Chi-squared tests for evaluation and comparison of asset pricing models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 108-125.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2011. "Chi-squared tests for evaluation and comparison of asset pricing models," Working Paper 2011-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Lee, Seojeong, 2014.
"Asymptotic refinements of a misspecification-robust bootstrap for generalized method of moments estimators,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 398-413.
- Seojeong Lee, 2013. "Asymptotic Refinements of a Misspecification-Robust Bootstrap for Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Discussion Papers 2013-09, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Paulo M.D.C. Parente & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2011.
"A cautionary note on tests for overidentifying restrictions,"
Economics Discussion Papers
699, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Parente, Paulo M.D.C. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2012. "A cautionary note on tests of overidentifying restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 314-317.
- Paulo M.D.C. Parente & Joao M.C. Santos Silva, 2011. "A Cautionary Note on Tests for Overidentifying Restrictions," Discussion Papers 1111, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Vadim Marmer & Taisuke Otsu, 2009.
"Optimal Comparison of Misspecified Moment Restriction Models under a Chosen Measure of Fit,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1724, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2011.
- Marmer, Vadim & Otsu, Taisuke, 2012. "Optimal comparison of misspecified moment restriction models under a chosen measure of fit," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 538-550.
- Marmer, Vadim & Otsu, Taisuke, 2008. "Optimal Comparison of Misspecified Moment Restriction Models under a Chosen Measure of Fit," Microeconomics.ca working papers vadim_marmer-2008-13, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 25 Jul 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theofanis Tsoulouhas) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Theofanis Tsoulouhas to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.