Fees and Surcharging in automatic teller machine networks: Non-bank ATM providers versus large banks
AbstractThis paper develops a spacial model of ATM networks to explore the implications for banks and non-banks of interchange fees, foreign fees and surcharges applied to transactions by customers at other than an own-bank ATM. Surcharging raises the price (foreign fee plus surcharge) paid by customers above the joint profit-maximizing level achieved by setting the interchange fee at marginal cost and not surcharging. Similar size banks would agree not to surcharge, but such an agreement is typically not possible between a bank and a non-bank. A high cost of teller transactions modifies the tendency towards high ATM fees.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 9883.
Date of creation: Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. McAndrews, 1998. "ATM surcharges," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 4(Apr).
- Economides, Nicholas & Salop, Steven C, 1992. "Competition and Integration among Complements, and Network Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 105-23, March.
- Kopsakangas-Savolainen, Maria & Takalo, Tuomas, 2012. "Competition before sunset: The case of the Finnish ATM market," Research Discussion Papers 32/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & John Krainer, 2006.
"The Welfare Consequences of ATM Surcharges: Evidence from a Structural Entry Model,"
NBER Working Papers
12443, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & John Krainer, 2004. "The welfare consequences of ATM surcharges: evidence from a structural entry model," Working Paper Series 2005-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & John Krainer, 2004. "The Welfare Consequences of ATM Surcharges: Evidence from a Structural Entry Model," Working Papers 04-16, NET Institute, revised Nov 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.