Industrial Groupings and Strategic FDI: Theory and Evidence
AbstractWe show that industrial ownership structures, such as keiretsu groupings in Japan, may significantly impact firms' incentives to engage in FDI. While the previous literature has mainly focused on the cost of capital advantages enjoyed by keiretsu firms, this paper examines two relatively unexplored channels by which ownership structure matters for FDI incentives. The first channel involves the direct incentives generated via standard product and factor market interactions whereby keiretsu firms with cross-ownership consider more directly the congestion effects of further FDI into a market. The second channel involves the indirect incentives generated by sharing of information across keiretsu firms which reduces entry costs for subsequent FDI. Using data on Japanese FDI activity by both keiretsu and non-keiretsu manufacturing firms, we find evidence to support the importance of the second channel (information-sharing incentives) as an explanation for firm-level FDI patterns, but not for the first channel.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 8046.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suzuki, Kazuyuki, 1993. "R&D spillovers and technology transfer among and within vertical keiretsu groups : Evidence from the Japanese electrical machinery industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 573-591.
- René Belderbos, 1997. "Antidumping and tariff Jumping: Japanese firms’ DFI in the European union and the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(3), pages 419-457, September.
- Robert Feenstra & Bruce A. Blonigen & Harris Dellas, 2003.
"Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment,"
961, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, 1997. "Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of U.S. Trade Protection and Promotion Policies, pages 55-80 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, 1996. "Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 5475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, . "Protectionist Threats And Foreign Direct Investment," Department of Economics 96-01, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- James A. Dorn, 1999. "Introduction," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 18(3), pages 311-320, Winter.
- Flath, David, 1993. "Shareholding in the Keiretsu, Japan's Financial Groups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 249-57, May.
- Hennart, J.-F. & Park, Y.R., 1994. "Location, governance and strategic determinants of Japanese manufacturing investment in the United States," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-174010, Tilburg University.
- Christopher J. Ellis & Dietrich Fausten, 2002. "Strategic FDI and industrial ownership structure," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(3), pages 476-494, August.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1996.
"Japanese firms and the decision to invest abroad: Business groups and regional core networks,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/101204, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1996. "Japanese Firms and the Decision to Invest Abroad: Business Groups and Regional Core Networks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 214-20, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras,"
NBER Working Papers
5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997. "Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Ping Lin & Kamal Saggi, 1999. "Incentives for Foreign Direct Investment under Imitation," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(5), pages 1275-1298, November.
- Flath, David, 1996. "The Keiretsu Puzzle," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 101-121, June.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991.
"Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Rauch, James E., 1999. "Symposium on business and social networks in international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 1-1, June.
- Kimura, Yui & Pugel, Thomas A., 1995. "Keiretsu and Japanese direct investment in US manufacturing," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 481-503, November.
- Bruce Blonigen & Rossitza B. Wooster, 2003.
"CEO Turnover and Foreign Market Participation,"
NBER Working Papers
9527, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Rossitza B. Wooster, 2003. "CEO Turnover and Foreign Market Participation," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-24, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Mar 2003.
- Koki Arai, 2004. "An Airline Merger in Japan: A Case Study Revealing Principles of Japanese Merger Control," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 207-222, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.