Market Access and Welfare Effects of Piecemeal Policy Reform
AbstractIn a situation where tariff reforms are being negotiated between two parties aims to raise its exports and the other aims to raise its welfare, tariff cuts must be in the interest" of at least one party. It is possible for the interests of the two sides to conflict. Conflict is certain" if the excess demand for exported goods does not respond to changes in the prices of imported" goods. In this case, any policy which raises imports must also reduce welfare."
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 6294.
Date of creation: Nov 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Ju, Jiandong and Kala Krishna. "Welfare And Market Access Effects Of Piecemeal Tariff Reform," Journal of International Economics, 2000, v51(2,Aug), 305-316.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lopez, Ramon & Rodrik, Dani, 1989.
"Trade restrictions with imported intermediate inputs : when does the trade balance improve?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
174, The World Bank.
- Lopez, Ramon E. & Rodrik, Dani, 1990. "Trade restrictions with imported intermediate inputs : When does the trade balance improve?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 329-338, November.
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, 1996.
"Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin,"
NBER Working Papers
5480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1996. "market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of origin," Papers 2-96-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1995. "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas Without Rules of Origin," Papers 11-95-3a, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, . "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin," EPRU Working Paper Series 96-03, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1859-69, November.
- Lloyd, P. J., 1974. "A more general theory of price distortions in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 365-386, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.